NASHVILLE, Tenn. - No. 23 LSU (1-2) took the doubles point in a match for the first time this season, but ultimately fell 4-1 to No. 15 Vanderbilt (4-1) in the ITA Kickoff Consolation match on Sunday in Nashville, Tenn.
“We showed a lot of improvement in the doubles matches to get that point for the first time,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “It was certainly one of the bright spots of the match. In singles, ultimately we didn’t play well on a couple of courts and allowed them to get the momentum back.”
Doubles teams of No. 46 freshman Eric Perez and sophomore Tam Trinh and sophomore Andrew Korinek and freshman Justin Butsch won their first doubles matches of the season. No. 60 junior Chris Simpson and sophomore Boris Arias fell to No. 2 Gonzales Austin and Ryan Lipman, 6-4, for the team’s first loss of the season.
No. 72 Simpson pushed his singles match with No. 9 Gonzales Austin to three sets, but ultimately fell 1-6, 6-2, 3-6. Trinh and sophomore Harrison Kennedy's matches went unfinished. Kennedy was tied 3-3 with Jeffrey Offerdahl when his match was cut short. Korinek, Butsch and Arias each lost their matches in straight sets.
LSU returns to action in two weeks in Baton Rouge, La. for its home opening weekend. LSU will face both North Florida and Liberty on Saturday, Feb. 8 at ‘Dub’ Robinson Stadium for a doubleheader beginning at noon.
“We’ll get back home, get all our information from this tournament and use it to get ready for a couple of home matches and see how our guys respond,” Brown said.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's team on Twitter and Instagram @LSUTennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs. Vanderbilt
Jan. 26, 2014 at Nashville, Tenn. (Currey Tennis Center)
#15 Vanderbilt 4, #23 LSU 1
1. #9 Gonzales Austin (VU) def. #72 Chris Simpson (LSU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
2. Ryan Lipman (VU) def. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. #57 Rhys Johnson (VU) vs. Tam Trinh (LSU) 4-6, 6-2, 1-3, unfinished
4. Anton Kovrigin (VU) def. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Kris Yee (VU) def. Justin Butsch (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jeffrey Offerdahl (VU) vs. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 3-3, unfinished
1. #2 Gonzales Austin/Ryan Lipman (VU) def. #60 Chris Simpson/Boris Arias (LSU) 6-4
2. #46 Eric Perez/Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Rhys Johnson/Ryan Smith (VU) 6-5 (7-5)
3. Andrew Korinek/Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Suresh Eswaran/Kris Yee (VU) 6-4
LSU 1-2; National ranking #23
Vanderbilt 3-1; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,5,4,1)
ITA Kick-off match - Consolation final