Tennis Finishes Play at Key Biscayne
KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - LSU men's tennis freshman Harrison Kennedy captured a three-set victory to lead the Tigers on the final day of play Tuesday at the Key Biscayne Collegiate Invitational.
Kennedy picked up his third singles win of the year in a three-set super tiebreaker, 7-6(1), 1-6, 10-6, against Denver's Max Krammer on court four.
"It was a good win for Harrison who is trying to get back to a strong level of play," LSU head coach Jeff Brown said. "It was a tough day overall, but I felt like everyone competed well."
LSU opened the day with doubles play as three pairs of Tigers squared off against Texas. On court one, No. 33 Chris Simpson and Stefan Szacinski came up short against No. 13 David Holiner and Chris Camillone, 8-6. On court two, Roger Anderson and Tam Trinh fell, 8-5, to No. 40 Daniel Whitehead and Sudanwa Sitaram. In another tight contest, Joe Hill and Boris Arias lost, 8-6, on court three to Ben Chen and Andrew Korinek.
In singles, Simpson fell on court one to Denver's 47th-ranked Enej Bonin, 6-2, 6-3. On court two, Trinh lost 6-2, 6-2 to Jens Vorkefeld, and on court three Arias dropped his match to Henry Craig, 6-3, 6-3.
The Tigers will turn their sights to the beginning of the dual match season, and LSU will open against Southern Miss in Dub Robinson Stadium on Jan. 21. First serve is set for 1 p.m. CT, and admission is free.
"We need to get everyone healthy and ready to go for dual season. We need to continue to work hard to prepare, and we are excited to compete at home to open things up," Brown said.
Connect with the men's tennis team through Twitter @LSUTennis and www.Facebook.com/lsutennis.
Key Biscayne Collegiate Invitational
Day Three Results
1. #47 Enej Bonin (Denver) def. Chris Simpson (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Jens Vorkefeld (Denver) def. Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Henry Craig (Denver) def. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) def. Max Krammer (Denver) 7-6(1), 1-6, 10-6
1. #13 David Holiner/Chris Camillone (Texas) def. #33 Chris Simpson/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 8-6
2. #40 Daniel Whitehead/Sudanwa Sitaram (Texas) def. Roger Anderson/Tam Trinh (LSU) 8-5
3. Ben Chen/Andrew Korinek (Texas) def. Joe Hill/Boris Arias (LSU) 8-6