NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A strong doubles point gave the LSU men’s tennis team momentum into singles and pushed the Tigers to a 4-1 victory over Arkansas in the first round of the 2014 SEC Men’s Tennis Tournament in Nashville on Wednesday.
“We built a good lead with the doubles point and four first sets,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “Arkansas made it tough, but we got the job done.”
This win is the Tigers' first in the SEC tournament since LSU defeated Alabama 4-0 in 2011 at Florida’s Ring Tennis Complex.
The match on court one was tighter, but No. 62 sophomore Tam Trinh and redshirt freshman Eric Perez upset No. 45 Mike Nott and Manfred Jeske, 8-6. The Tigers led the Razorbacks 1-0 into singles matches.
In singles, LSU won first sets on courts two, three, five and six. Boris Arias quickly defeated Manfred Jeske 6-2, 6-2 on court two to give the Tigers a 2-0 lead over the Razorbacks.
On court three, freshman Justin Butsch gave the Tigers a 3-0 lead with another dominant LSU point, winning 6-0, 6-3. Harrison Kennedy clinched the match for LSU after grinding out a 7-6(7-4), 7-6(7-5) win on court five.
The Tigers will take on the No. 5 seed Mississippi State on Thursday at 6 p.m. at Currey Tennis Center.
LSU traveled to Mississippi State on March 21 and fell 4-2. In the match, the Tigers took the doubles point and a singles match on court two.
“The team is ready for a neutral court match with Mississippi State,” Brown said.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs Arkansas
Apr 16, 2014 at Nashville, Tenn. (Currey Tennis Center)
#55 LSU 4, #58 Arkansas 1
1. Mike Nott (ARK) def. #84 Chris Simpson (LSU) 7-5, 1-6, 6-1
2. Boris Arias (LSU) def. Manfred Jeske (ARK) 6-2, 6-2
3. Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Hall Fess (ARK) 6-0, 6-3
4. Jovan Parlic (ARK) vs. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-4, 0-6, 4-2, unfinished
5. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) def. Johan den Toom (ARK) 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-5)
6. Santiago Munoz (ARK) vs. Tam Trinh (LSU) 3-6, 6-6 (5-5), unfinished
1. #62 Tam Trinh/Eric Perez (LSU) def. #45 Mike Nott/Manfred Jeske (ARK) 8-6
2. Pete Thomason/Hall Fess (ARK) vs. Chris Simpson/Justin Butsch (LSU) 5-6, unfinished
3. Andrew Korinek/Boris Arias (LSU) def. Jacob Herndon/Jovan Parlic (ARK) 8-2
LSU 13-13, 2-10 SEC; National ranking #55
Arkansas 13-16, 3-9 SEC; National ranking #58
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,3,1,5)
2014 SEC Men's Tennis Tournament
First Round Match - No. 12 seed vs. No. 13 seed
Official: Anthony Montero