FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Sophomore Tam Trinh dominated his opponent 6-2, 6-3 on court four, but the LSU men’s tennis team fell 4-1 to Arkansas on Saturday afternoon at Billingsley Tennis Center.
“We had a few tough breaks go against us today,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “As it turns out, we will play Arkansas again on Wednesday in Nashville at the SEC tournament where we look to return to full strength.”
In doubles, LSU fell on court one and two, and Arkansas took a 1-0 lead into singles. Trinh and redshirt freshman Eric Perez fell 8-3 on court one and sophomore Boris Arias and freshman Justin Butsch fell 8-7 on court two.
In singles, Arkansas went up by two when sophomore Harrison Kennedy fell 6-1, 6-2 on court five. Trinh got LSU back within one with his victory on court four. Butsch fell 6-4, 6-2 which gave the Razorbacks a 3-1 lead. Santiago Munoz clinched the match for Arkansas with a 7-6, 6-2 victory on court six over redshirt freshman Eric Perez.
The Tigers return to action at the SEC tournament in Nashville on Wednesday with another match against Arkansas.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
LSU vs Arkansas
Apr 12, 2014
Arkansas 4, LSU 1
1. Mike Nott (AR) vs. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-4, 3-6, 5-4
2. Manfred Jeske (AR) def. Justin Butsch (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Andrew Korinek (LSU) vs. Hall Fess (AR) 4-6, 6-3, 4-3
4. Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Jovan Parlic (AR) 6-2, 6-3
5. Johan den Toom (AR) def. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Santiago Munoz (AR) def. Eric Perez (LSU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
1. Mike Nott/Manfred Jeske (AR) def. Tam Trinh/Eric Perez (LSU) 8-3
2. Hall Fess/Pete Thomason (AR) def. Boris Arias/Justin Butsch (LSU) 8-7 (7-4)
3. Andrew Korinek/Harrison Kennedy (LSU vs. Jaco Herndon/Jovan Parlic (AR) 6-5
LSU 12-12 (2-9)
Arkansas 12-15 (2-9)
Order of finish:
Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,4,2,6)