Tennis Wins Four More at Key Biscayne
KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - The LSU men's tennis team won three singles matches and one doubles contest on day two of competition Monday at the Key Biscayne Collegiate Invitational at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park.
Sophomore Chris Simpson earned an upset victory over Texas' 98th-ranked Nick Naumann on court one, 7-6(8), 6-3. Senior Mark Bowtell held off Texas' Ben Chen, 7-6(5), 3-6, 6-3 on court five, and freshman Boris Arias captured a three-set win against Texas' Jacoby Lewis on court six, 7-6(5), 1-6, 6-3.
In doubles, Roger Anderson and Tam Trinh combined to give LSU its first doubles win of the tournament with an 8-3 victory over Michigan's Vlad Stefan and Barrett Franks on court two.
"We had some good individual performances today," LSU head coach Jeff Brown said. "Chris and Boris had good confidence boosters since they were a couple of guys who lost on day one. We are looking for one more solid day to finish up the tournament before we head back home and continue our training."
Trinh fought hard against Texas' Andrew Korinck, losing in three sets 6-7(8), 6-3, 6-3 on court four. Anderson fell to No. 43 Daniel Whitehead on court three, 7-6(8), 6-1. Stefan Szacinski dropped his match on court two to Sadanwa Sitaram, 6-2, 6-4, and Joe Hill lost 6-4, 6-2 to Alex Hilliard on court seven. Harrison Kennedy fell in a hard-fought match, 7-6(5), 7-6(5) on court eight to Joey Swaysland.
In doubles, No. 33 Simpson and Szacinski lost 8-5 to Michigan's Evan King and Alex Buzzi on court one, and Hill and Arias dropped a close match, 8-7(5), on court three to Michigan's Alex Petrone and Michael Zhu.
LSU will take to the courts at 9 a.m. CT Tuesday for the final day of the tournament, and the Tigers will open up with singles play against Denver.
Follow the Tigers' progress on Twitter @LSUTennis and www.Facebook.com/lsutennis.
Key Biscayne Collegiate Invitational
Day Two Results
1. Chris Simpson (LSU) def. #98 Nick Naumann (Texas) 7-6(8), 6-3
2. Sadanwa Sitaram (Texas) def. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. #43 Daniel Whitehead (Texas) def. Roger Anderson (LSU) 7-6(8), 6-1
4. Andrew Korinck (Texas) def. Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-7(8), 6-3, 6-3
5. Mark Bowtell (LSU) def. Ben Chen (Texas) 7-6(5), 3-6, 6-3
6. Boris Arias (LSU) def. Jacoby Lewis (Texas) 7-6(5), 1-6, 6-3
7. Alex Hilliard (Texas) def. Joe Hill (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
8. Joey Swaysland (Texas) d. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 7-6(5), 7-6(5)
1. Evan King/Alex Buzzi (Michigan) def. #33 Chris Simpson/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 8-5
2. Roger Anderson/Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Vlad Stefan/Barrett Franks (Michigan) 8-3
3. Alex Petrone/Michael Zhu (Michigan) def. Joe Hill/Boris Arias (LSU) 8-7(5)