Volleyball Bounces Back with Sweep of Oakland
Asst. Communications Director
ROCHESTER, Mich. – After falling in the first two matches of the Michigan Challenge, the LSU volleyball team bounced back on Saturday afternoon, sweeping Oakland in Athletics Center O’Rena by scores of 25-17, 25-19, 25-23. The Tigers improve to 3-6 on the year, while Oakland falls to 3-6.
Sophomore Taylor Bannister had a great outing as she led the Tigers with 18 kills and a .387 hitting percentage. Senior setter Lindsay Flory finished with 36 assists, while freshman Raigen Cianciulli led the back row with nine digs.
- The Tigers will be on the road one final time in nonconference action, heading to Dallas for the SMU Doubletree Classic, September 14 and 15. The Tigers open up the weekend with Liberty at 10 a.m. CT.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a back-and-forth start to the match, the Tigers went on a 5-0 run after an ace from Lindsay Flory, taking a 14-10 lead. LSU pushed to a 15-12 lead into the media timeout.
- The Tigers put together back-to-back points on an ace from Anna Zwiebel and a kill from Jacqui Armer. The Tigers took a 19-14 lead and forced Oakland to use a timeout.
- Oakland called another timeout as the Tigers went on to take a 21-15 lead after Bannister’s sixth kill of the set.
- LSU ended the set on a 6-2 run to win the set, 25-17. In that 6-2 run the Tigers got three kills from Bannister, tallying eight for the set. She hit .500 for the set with just one attacking error.
- For the first set, the Tigers outhit Oakland .367-.069.
- The second set went back and forth between the two teams, but the Tigers scored back-to-back points off a kill from Bannister and an attaching error by the Golden Grizzlies to take a 11-9 lead and force Oakland to a timeout.
- A big block from Toni Rodriguez and Armer put the Tigers ahead 18-16, which pushed to a 20-18 lead and forced Oakland to a timeout.
- The Tigers finished off the set hot on a 6-1 run, scoring the final two points of the set off back-to-back kills from Bannister and Whitney Foreman.
- LSU hit .394 for the second set with Bannister leading the way with eight kills.
- The third set started out point-for-point again. LSU trailed 8-6, but worked its way back after back-to-back kills by Rodriguez and Flory, tying the set up 8-8.
- It was another back and forth battle to the media timeout. Oakland took a 15-14 lead into the timeout, but the Tigers came out of the timeout with a kill by Rodriguez.
- The set continued to go back and forth between the two teams. The Tigers took a 21-20 lead after a kill by Rodriguez, but Oakland answered with two-straight points to go ahead, 22-21.
- The Tigers went on a 3-0 run to take a 24-22 lead over Oakland. The Golden Grizzlies took a timeout, but the Tigers came out with a kill by Rodriguez to finish off the match.
- Bannister’s 18 kills led the Tigers for the ninth-straight match this season.
- The Tigers are 1-0 against Oakland all-time
- Cianciulli’s team-leading nine digs is the ninth-straight match leading the team this season.
- Rodriguez finished with seven kills on a .429 hitting percentage.
Flory added five kills, five digs and a .625 hitting percentage (5-0-8).
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.