Soccer Welcomes Stetson to Baton Rouge Thursday Night
Asst. Communications Director
Baton Rouge, La. – The LSU soccer team (4-1-0) will host its third home match of the 2018 season at LSU Soccer Stadium as they welcome the Stetson Hatters to Baton Rouge for a contest on Thursday night at 7 p.m.
- LSU enters Thursday’s night matchup against Stetson on a four-match winning streak
- Adrienne Richardson leads the Tigers with four goals on the season; her .80 goals per game rank her fifth in the SEC
- Tinaya Alexander and Abbey Newton are tied for the team lead with two assists apiece
- Caroline Brockmeier and the LSU defense have four-straight shutouts (360 minutes without letting an opponent score a goal); Brockmeier’s career total now sits at 18, which is the second most in program history
- There have been four instances in LSU’s 24-year history that the Tigers have registered four-straight shutouts or more; two of those occasions have come in 2017 and 2018 with Brockmeier in net
- Marlena Cutura has scored twice in the last two games marking the first two goals of her collegiate career
- Richardson (four) and Cutura (two) have fueled LSU’s offense over the last three matches with six combined goals scored
The first of three free t-shirt giveaway installments will be on Thursday night. The first 200 fans in attendance will receive ‘The Global Game Geauxs Local’ t-shirt. In addition to the t-shirt giveaways, vuvuzelas will be available and students that attend will have a chance to win sideline passes to Saturday’s home football game against Southeastern Louisiana. Gates open at 6 p.m.
Thursday night is the 1st of 3 t-shirt giveaway promotions we will be having this fall!— LSU Soccer (@LSUSoccer) September 5, 2018
Take a look at 'The Global Game Geauxs Local' shirts we'll be giving out to the first 200 fans in attendance for tomorrow night's match against Stetson. Vuvuzelas will be available as well. pic.twitter.com/rjRWFDnXQY
2018 Record: 3-2-1
Hailey Williams – 4 points (2 goals)
Lily Truong – 3 points (1g & 1a)
Emily Plotz – 0.81 GAA, 31 saves, .861 save percentage
Last Time Out
LSU scored a season-high three goals in their win over Lamar on Tuesday night in Beaumont, Texas. The win by LSU ended Lamar’s 12-match home win streak that dated back to the 2017 season. Cutura scored the first goal of the game in the 25th minute with a low, right-footed shot on the ground off a one-bounce volley to herself that made its way through a couple of Lamar defenders before beating the keeper to her left.
Adrienne Richardson scored goals in the 38th and 55th minutes to push LSU’s lead to three. Richardson’s first goal was the result of an excellent play by Abbey Newton. The freshman from Fleming Island, Fla., took the ball away from a Lamar attacker in LSU territory before sending Richardson in on a great through ball and Richardson snuck on past the Lamar keeper to the far post from the left side of the box.
Richardson’s second goal came after Tinaya Alexander’s cross into the box was headed out to Richardson by a Lamar defender. Richardson squeaked the high arcing shot over the Lamar keeper to score her second of the game and fourth of the season.