Volleyball Falls to No. 16 Baylor in Season Opener
Asst. Communications Director
WACO, Texas – The LSU volleyball team fell to No. 16 Baylor in the season opener on Friday evening in the Ferrell Center by scores of 19-25, 25-13, 15-25, 21-25. The Tigers are 0-1 on the year, while Baylor moves to 1-0.
Taylor Bannister led the team with 11 kills, while Raigen Cianciulli anchored the back row with 10 digs. Toni Rodriguez finished with nine kills, while Olivia Beyer and Whitney Foreman added eight kills. Lindsay Flory finished with 30 assists.
- The Tigers continue the 2018 Hampton Inn & Suites Waco North Baylor Invitational on Saturday with a 12:30 p.m. match with Marquette and a 5 p.m. match with Texas State. Both matches will have live stats. Follow along here.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams played closely in the opening points as the two were even at 6-6. Baylor started to make a run and went up 14-10.
- Baylor extended their lead to 19-14, but the Tigers pushed back to come within three, 20-17.
- A kill by freshman Whitney Foreman and a Baylor attacking error put the Tigers within five, but only one more point was scored by LSU as Baylor took set one, 25-19.
- Taylor Bannister led the squad in the first set with four kills, while Olivia Beyer had three. Raigen Cianciulli recorded a team-high three digs in the first set.
- The Tigers came out hot in set 2 as they took a 4-2 lead and pushed to a 9-4 lead after a 4-0 run, forcing Baylor to take a timeout.
- That scoring run continued as the Tigers went up 15-5 in the second set on kills by Rodriguez and Beyer, and attacking errors by the Bears.
- The Tigers went up 21-9 after a Baylor ball handling error. The Bears worked their way back to come within 11, but LSU used a kill from Bannister and an attack error by the Bears to go up 24-11.
- Baylor scored back-to-back points, but a Rodriguez killed sealed the deal for the Tigers in set two, 25-13.
- In the third set, the Tigers got a slow start as Baylor got out to a 7-2 lead, forcing LSU to take a timeout.
- Baylor continued to push in the third set, going up 17-8. The Tigers took their second timeout of the set.
- The Tigers went on a 6-1 run to come within four, taking advantage of Baylor’s miscues.
- Baylor went on a 7-1 run to finish out the set, 25-15, taking a 2-1 lead on the match.
- It was a tight start to the set as the two teams battled back and forth. Baylor took a 8-5 lead.
- LSU came within one, 11-10, but Baylor pushed back with a 3-1 scoring run to go up 14-11.
- Back-to-back points brought the Tigers within one, 15-14, but a 3-0 run by the Bears put the Tigers behind, 18-14, forcing a timeout.
- The Tigers put together a 4-0 run late in the set to come within three, 22-19, and force a Baylor timeout.
- LSU wasn’t going down easy as the Tigers held off Baylor for two match points, forcing the Bears to use another timeout. But Baylor came out of the timeout to score the final point, taking the fourth set 25-21.
- Taylor Bannister started off the season with a double-digit kill performance, finishing the match with 11 kills.
- Raigen Cianciulli anchored the back row with her first double-digit dig performance of the year, finishing the match with 10.
- The Tigers are now 5-5 against Baylor in program history.
- Two freshman Whitney Foreman and Leigh Maher made their debut as a Tiger. Foreman finished with eight kills, while Maher picked up seven digs.
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.