Men's Tennis Drops Road Match at No. 22 Tennessee
Communications Graduate Assistant
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Sophomore Rafael Wagner notched a straight-set win against Adam Walton on court three for his team-best 17th win of the year, but it was not enough as the LSU men’s tennis team fell to the No. 22 Tennessee Volunteers, 6-1, Sunday afternoon at the Goodfriend Tennis Center.
LSU falls to 8-6 on the season and 1-3 in Southeastern Conference play while Tennessee improves to 12-4 overall and 2-1 in conference action.
Co-Head Coach Chris Brandi on the Match
“That one hurt,” co-head coach Chris Brandi said. “We had a lot of chances to make it a match, and they just played more aggressively and went after it at the right time. We need to get the bottom of our lineup going. When a few things didn’t go our way, we didn’t hang tough. Tennessee is a very good team, and we should take confidence knowing we can play with them. However, we need to do a better job of trusting ourselves in the important moments. We are going to take a few days off, get healthy and prepare for the weekend.”
To lead off the match, sophomore duo Wagner and Agie Moreno dropped their contest to Timo Stodder and Adam Walton, 6-4, on court two.
Tennessee jumped ahead, 2-0, with a straight-set, 6-2, 6-2 win on court five by Scott Jones against Nikola Samardzic.
Saborio dropped a 7-5, 6-2 contest to Valero on court four, and the Volunteers clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-1 win by Muamba against Moreno on court six.
The Volunteers gained the 5-0 advantage with a court one win. Monroe dropped his match to No. 20 Stodder, 6-3, 6-2, and Csonka fell on court two, 6-4, 7-5. to Touliatos before Wagner secured his court three win.
The Tigers have another road match at 1 p.m. CT Sunday, March 18. LSU will face Texas A&M in College Station at the Mitchell Tennis Center.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#22 Tennessee 6, LSU 1
1. #20 Timo Stodder (UT) def. Shane Monroe (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Preston Touliatos (UT) def. Gabor Csonka (LSU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Adam Walton (UT) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Luis Valero (UT) def. Julian Saborio (LSU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Scott Jones (UT) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Nicaise Muamba (UT) def. Agie Moreno (LSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. #73 Preston Touliatos/Luis Valero (UT) def. Gabor Csonka/Julian Saborio (LSU) 7-6 (7-3)
2. Timo Stodder/Adam Walton (UT) def. Rafael Wagner/Agie Moreno (LSU) 6-4
3. Shane Monroe/Stewart Block (LSU) def. Andrew Rogers/Nicaise Muamba (UT) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,4,6,1,2,3)