Men's Tennis Falls at Alabama, 6-1
Communications Graduate Assistant
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The LSU men’s tennis team fell to the Alabama Crimson Tide, 6-1, Sunday afternoon at the Alabama Tennis Stadium.
With the loss, LSU drops to 5-10 on the season and 1-4 in conference play while Alabama improves to 7-11 and 1-5 in the SEC.
Coach Brown on the Match
“We did not have our best doubles point today, and Alabama carried the momentum for a long time in the match,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “We fought like crazy and had the match within reach, but Jordan (Daigle) broke from 5-4 down in the third set, Justin (Butsch) was ahead 5-3 in the third set and Gabor (Csonka) was up 5-4 in the third set. Nikola (Samardzic) closed his match, but none of the others were quite able to. We have a quick turnaround to play Tuesday against Dartmouth.”
Alabama earned the 1-0 lead after taking matches on courts one and two in doubles. Alexey Nesterov and Thibault Cancel defeated Gabor Csonka and Julian Saborio, 6-3, on court two. Senior duo Jordan Daigle and Justin Butsch were unable to hold back No. 66 Mazen Osama and Spencer Richey on court one as the Crimson Tide pair took the 6-4 win on court one.
Zhe Zhou worked a quick 6-2, 6-4 victory on court six against Eric Samuelsson to give the Crimson Tide the early 2-0 lead.
On court three, Edson Ortiz defeated Rafael Wagner, 7-6, 6-1 as Alabama jumped ahead 3-0.
No. 41 Mazen Osama and No. 47 Jordan Daigle squared off on court one. Daigle forced the match into a third set, but Osama eventually earned the 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 win to snap Daigle’s five-match win streak and to clinch the match for Alabama.
The Tigers’ only point of the afternoon came from Nikola Samardiz on court five. The sophomore worked a 2-6, 7-5, 7-5 win against Spencer Richey.
On court four, Alexey Nesterov defeated Gabor Csonka, 6-2, 2-6, 7-5, and in a hard fought match on court two, No. 103 Thibault Cancel took the 7-5, 4-6, 7-5 win against No. 43 Justin Butsch to make it 6-1 Alabama.
The Tigers will compete against Dartmouth Tuesday at 5 p.m. at the LSU Tennis Complex.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
March 19, 2017 LSU vs. Alabama at Tuscaloosa, Ala. (Alabama Tennis Stadium)
1. No. 41 Mazen Osama (Alabama) def. No. 47 Jordan Daigle (LSU), 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
2. No. 103 Thibault Cancel (Alabama) def. No. 43 Justin Butsch (LSU),
3. Edson Ortiz (Alabama) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU), 7-6, 6-17-5, 4-6, 7-5
4. Alexey Nesterov (Alabama) def. Gabor Csonka (LSU), 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
5. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Spencer Richey (Alabama), 2-6, 7-5, 7-5
6. Zhe Zhou (Alabama) def. Eric Samuelsson (LSU), 6-2, 6-4
1. No. 66 Mazen Osama/Spencer Richey (Alabama) def. Jordan Daigle/Justin Butsch (LSU), 6-4
2. Alexey Nesterov/Thibault Cancel (Alabama) def. Gabor Csonka/Julian Saborio (LSU), 6-3
3. Rafael Wager/Agie Moreno (LSU) vs. Zhe Zhou/Edson Ortiz (Alabama), 5-4 unf.
Order of Finish:
Singles: 6, 3, 1, 5, 4, 2
Doubles: 2, 1