Sunday Tennis Doubleheader Features No. 8 Aggies
BATON ROUGE, La. – The LSU men’s tennis team will host a doubleheader featuring No. 9 Texas A&M and Nicholls on Sunday at Dub Robinson Stadium.
The Tigers welcome the Aggies to Baton Rouge to continue what has been a close, friendly rivalry in the history of the program. The Aggies lead the series with LSU winning 23 games to the Tigers’ 19. In 2013, LSU upset then No. 11 Texas A&M in College Station with a thrilling 4-3 victory.
“This has been a great rivalry for us for many years, well before they joined the conference,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “They have had a strong start to their season, and we are hungry to get things going. We will compete like crazy. It should be fun to watch.”
On March 13, LSU (8-7, 0-4 SEC) defeated No. 60 George Washington 4-3 in an exciting fashion with freshman Justin Butsch clinching the match on court four on Thursday afternoon. On March 14, Texas A&M (13-5, 4-1 SEC) defeated No. 63 Arkansas 4-0 in Fayetteville.
For LSU, junior Chris Simpson is No. 62 in the singles rankings. Simpson and doubles partner Boris Arias are the No. 30 doubles team. Sophomore Tam Trinh and redshirt freshman Eric Perez are No. 61 in the doubles rankings. For Texas A&M, Harrison Adams, Shane Vinsant and Jeremy Efferding are ranked at No. 12, No. 25 and No. 50 in singles, respectively. In doubles, the Aggies have the No. 5 doubles team in Junior Ore and Jackson Withrow and the No. 38 team in Jeremy Efferding and Jordan Szabo.
The first serve is scheduled for 1 p.m. against Texas A&M and the match against Nicholls is scheduled for 6 p.m. The match is free to the public.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
1. #12 Harrison Adams (TAMU) vs. #62 Chris Simpson (LSU)
2. #25 Shane Vinsant (TAMU) vs. Boris Arias (LSU)
3. #50 Jeremy Efferding (TAMU) vs. Andrew Korinek (LSU)
4. Junior Ore (TAMU) vs. Justin Butsch (LSU)
5. Jackson Withrow (TAMU) vs. Tam Trinh (LSU)
6. Jordan Szabo (TAMU) vs. Harrison Kennedy (LSU)
1. Junior Ore/Jackson Withrow (TAMU) vs. #5 Chris Simpson/Boris Arias (LSU)
2. Shane Vinsant/Harrison Adams (TAMU) vs. Tam Trinh/Justin Butsch (LSU)
3. #38 Jeremy Efferding/Jordan Szabo (TAMU) vs. Eric Perez/Andrew Korinek (LSU)
Texas A&M 13-5; National ranking #9