NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The No. 41 LSU women’s tennis team fell to No. 8 Vanderbilt 7-0 on Sunday afternoon in Nashville.
"Overall, I was happy with the way the team competed today,” said LSU head coach Julia Sell. “This was a very competitive match that was exciting from start to finish. We had a lot of chances to take some leads and didn't capitalize on those opportunities. Doubles in particular really hurt because we dug a hole early and almost came back.”
After this match, LSU is now 7-4 on the season and 0-2 in SEC play and Vanderbilt improves to 9-3 on the season and 2-0 in SEC play.
In doubles, the Lady Tigers and Vanderbilt split the first two matches. Gabrielle Otero and partner Abigail Owens secured an 8-6 victory over Frances Altick and Georgina Sellyn on court three, while Joana Vale Costa and Skylar Holloway fell to No. 36 Courtney Colton and Lauren Mira 8-1 on court one.
On court two, Noel Scott and Ella Taylor came from behind to tie the match at 7-7, but ultimately the LSU duo fell to No. 50 Ashleigh Antal and Marie Casares 8-7 (2) to give Vanderbilt a 1-0 lead heading into singles matches.
The Lady Tigers are now 16-8 in doubles matches on the season.
In singles, LSU’s Taylor met defeat 6-2, 6-1 at the hands of Marie Casares on court five, while Owens fell to Commodore Lauren Mira 6-3, 6-2 on court four.
On court three, Otero battled hard but ultimately fell to No. 81 Courtney Colton 6-0, 7-5.
LSU will take the court again on Wednesday, March 5 as they face No. 21 Rice at noon CT in Houston, Texas.
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#8 Vanderbilt 7, #41 LSU 0
1. #60 Georgina Sellyn (VU) def. Joana Vale Costa (LSU) 7-5, 4-4 retired
2. #87 Noel Scott (LSU) def. Frances Altick (VU) 6-3, 4-6, 1-1 retired
3. #81 Courtney Colton (VU) def. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 6-0, 7-5
4. Lauren Mira (VU) def. Abigail Owens (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Marie Casares (VU) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Ashleigh Antal (VU) def. Skylar Holloway (LSU) 4-3 retired
1. #36 Courtney Colton/Lauren Mira (VU) def. Joana Vale Costa/Skylar Holloway (LSU) 8-1
2. #50 Ashleigh Antal/Marie Casares (VU) def. Noel Scott/Ella Taylor (LSU) 8-7 (7-2)
3. Gabrielle Otero/Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Frances Altick/Georgina Sellyn (VU) 8-6