Soccer Ties Program Record with 14 on SEC Honor Roll
BATON ROUGE -- The LSU Soccer team has tied a program record with 14 selections to the 2013 Southeastern Conference Academic Honor Roll for the fall semester as the league office announced its latest academic honorees on Thursday for their effort in the classroom during the 2013 spring, summer and fall semesters.
This marks the second time in three seasons that 14 Tigers have been named to the SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll, smashing their previous team record of 11 set four times in 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2007.
Headlining the team’s 14 SEC selections are five members of its senior class as Nina Anderson, Addie Eggleston, Megan Kinneman, Danielle Murphy and Alex Ramsey wrapped up their careers in the 2013 season. Other selections include juniors Alex Arlitt, Jodi Calloway and Nicole McLaughlin; sophomores Haley Emerson, Heather Magee, Fernanda Pina and Tori Sample; and redshirt freshmen Gracie Campbell and Mariel McLaughlin.
LSU’s 14 selections to the SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll on Thursday continues the team’s momentum in the classroom following the 2013 season.
Kinneman, Murphy and Ramsey each graduated from LSU a semester early while taking part in commencement ceremonies in December following the conclusion of the 2013 fall semester. Arlitt was recognized by the College Sports Information Directors of America in November as a member of the Capital One Academic All-District VI Team for the first time in her collegiate career.
In addition, the LSU Soccer team was honored by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America for the second-straight year as a recipient of the NSCAA Team Academic Award for maintaining a team grade-point average of 3.05 during the 2012-13 academic year. The Tigers also posted a 3.21 team GPA while also receiving the award in 2011-12.
Any student-athlete participating in a Southeastern Conference championship sport or student-athlete who participates in a sport listed on his/her institution’s NCAA Sports Sponsorship Form is eligible for nomination to the SEC Academic Honor Roll, provided the following criteria is followed:
(1) A student-athlete must have a grade-point average of 3.00 or above for either the preceding academics year (two semesters or three quarters) or have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above at the institution.
(2) If a student-athlete attends summer school, his/her GPA during the summer academic term is included in the calculation used to determine eligibility for the SEC Academic Honor Roll.
(3) Student-athletes eligible for the SEC Academic Honor Roll include those athletes receiving an athletic scholarship, recipients of an athletic award (i.e. letter winner) and non-scholarship student-athletes who have been on a varsity team for two seasons.
(4) Prior to his/her nomination to the SEC Academic Honor Roll, a student-athlete must have successfully completed 24 semester or 36 quarter hours of non-remedial academic credit toward a baccalaureate degree at the nominating institution.
(5) The student-athlete has been a member of a varsity team for the squad’s entire NCAA Championships segment.
LSU Soccer’s SEC Academic Honor Roll Selections
Position, Name, Class, Major
F, Nina Anderson, Senior, Sport Administration
D, Alex Arlitt, Junior, Accounting
D, Jodi Calloway, Junior, Sport Administration
D, Gracie Campbell, Redshirt Freshman, Kinesiology
D, Addie Eggleston, Senior, Communication Disorders
M, Haley Emerson, Sophomore, Sport Administration
GK, Megan Kinneman, Senior, Sport Administration
M, Heather Magee, Sophomore, Marketing
M, Mariel McLaughlin, Redshirt Freshman, Biology
D, Nicole McLaughlin, Junior, Kinesiology
F, Danielle Murphy, Senior, Kinesiology
M, Fernanda Pina, Sophomore, Studio Art
M, Alex Ramsey, Senior, Broadcast Journalism
D, Tori Sample, Sophomore, Nutrition & Food Science