Men's Tennis Loses Fight with Wake Forest, 4-1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The No. 23 LSU men's tennis team (1-1) fell 4-1 to No. 19 Wake Forest (5-0) in the first round of the ITA Kick-Off Classic in Nashville, Tenn., on Saturday.
“There are a few details here and there that are a still work in progress,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “One thing that is a really high level is this team’s fight. I’m extremely comfortable taking these guys into any match because of how hard they fight. I know that they are working to improve.”
Sophomore Boris Arias secured LSU’s lone point of the match winning on court four, 6-5, 1-6, 6-4. In doubles, No. 60 junior Chris Simpson and Arias cruised to a 6-0 win over Adam Lee and Pedro Dumont.
The Deacons won two of the three doubles matches and took the doubles point. No. 46 freshman Eric Perez and sophomore Tam Trinh fell 6-0 to Romain Bogaerts and Max Kan. Sophomore Andrew Korinek and freshman Justin Butsch fell 6-4 to Aws Laaribi and Anthony Delcore.
Butsch pushed his singles match to three sets winning the first set 6-5, but ultimately lost the second and third sets 6-3, 6-3. Trinh lost his singles match 6-4, 6-1 to Kan on court three, and Korinek fell to No. 59 Lee 6-3, 6-2.
No. 72 Simpson and sophomore Harrison Kennedy did not finish their singles matches to No. 20 Bogaerts and Laarbi, respectively. Simpson was at a third-set tiebreaker before his match was cut short.
LSU takes on No. 15 Vanderbilt (2-1) on Sunday at 10 a.m. in the consolation match. Vanderbilt is coming off a 4-0 loss to No. 20 Texas.
“Hopefully we can play a little better tomorrow against Vanderbilt, who is a very good team,” Brown said. “Vanderbilt is coming off a tough match that was closer than the score. I look forward to watching my team grow and continue to evolve.”
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's team on Twitter and Instagram @LSUTennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs. Wake Forest
Jan 25, 2014 at Nashville, Tenn. (Currey Tennis Center)
#19 Wake Forest 4, #23 LSU 1
1. #20 Romain Bogaerts (WFU) vs. #72 Chris Simpson (LSU) 6-1, 5-6 (5-7), 5-5 (5-1), unfinished
2. #59 Adam Lee (WFU) def. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Max Kan (WFU) def. Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Boris Arias (LSU) def. Jon Ho (WFU) 6-5 (7-5), 1-6, 6-5 (7-5)
5. Pedro Dumont (WFU) def. Justin Butsch (LSU) 5-6 (7-9), 6-3, 6-3
6. Aws Laaribi (WFU) vs. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
1. #60 Chris Simpson/Boris Arias (LSU) def. Adam Lee/Pedro Dumont (WFU) 6-0
2. Romain Bogaerts/Max Kan (WFU) def. #46 Eric Perez/Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-0
3. Aws Laaribi/Anthony Delcore (WFU) def. Andrew Korinek/Justin Butsch (LSU) 6-4
LSU 1-1; National ranking #23
Wake Forest 5-0; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,4,5)
ITA Kick-off match: #2 seed vs. #3 seed