BATON ROUGE – The 2013 season was a banner year for LSU gymnastics as the team tied or shattered school records throughout the season, and now the Tigers are carrying that momentum forward as they continue to prepare for a highly-anticipated 2014 campaign.
Not only did LSU compete in the NCAA Super Six Finals for the third time in six seasons, but the Tigers did it in record fashion, winning the NCAA Columbus Regional over second-place UCLA with a 197.275 and posting a 197.325 in the NCAA Semifinal to finish second and easily qualify for the national title meet.
LSU finished fifth in the nation with a 197.050 in the Super Six, beating Georgia for the fourth time in 2013. The 197.050 also marked the seventh score of 197 or higher during the season which tied the 2004 Tigers for the most 197 scores in a single season.
LSU ranked No. 5 in the attendance standings after Tiger fans filled up the Maravich Center like never before. All five home meets in 2013 rank among the Top 25 in all-time home attendance figures, including 8,574 fans on March 8 that stands as the highest single-meet attendance in school history.
The Tigers return 13 letterwinners from the outstanding 2013 squad, including seven All-Americans in Rheagan Courville, Kaleigh Dickson, Lloimincia Hall, Jessie Jordan, Maliah Mathis, Sarie Morrison and Randii Wyrick. LSU also brings back five All-SEC performers next season in Courville, Hall, Jordan, Morrison and Jessica Savona.
In addition to returning 21 of 24 routines from nationals, LSU welcomes four talented freshmen to the fold with Sydney Ewing, Ashleigh Gnat, Shonacee Oliva and Shae Zamardi set to compete in 2014.
Check out the all-time superlatives for LSU gymnastics:
* 116 Scholastic All-Americans
* 126 Athletic All-Americans
* Gymnastics was the recipient of the 2013 Tiger Cup and Community Service Award at the annual LSU All Sports Gala
*3.2 Team GPA in 2012-13
* 29 Consecutive NCAA Regional Appearances
* 24 NCAA Championships Appearances
* 12 Regional Team Titles
* 3 Super Six Appearances (2008, 2009, 2013)
TIGERS TO THE TOP
In the 2013 season:
* LSU tied the school record for most 197 scores in a season with eight, equaling the 2004 team.
* Rheagan Courville won the NCAA Vault National Title, the ninth individual national title in school history and the sixth in the last six years.
* LSU earned four perfect 10.0 scores in 2013 with Lloimincia Hall scoring two and Sarie Morrison and Rheagan Courville each adding one. LSU now has 36 total 10.0 scores in school history.
* Rheagan Courville won the SEC AA, VT and BB titles while Lloimincia Hall and Jessica Savona shared the SEC FX title.
9 NCAA Individual National Titles in LSU History
27 SEC Individual Titles
51 All-SEC Honors
5 SEC Gymnast of the Year Awards (2004, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013)
1 Gymnastics Honda Award Recipient
1 AAI Award Recipient
1 Corbett Award Recipient