Lady Tigers Tennis Shutout at No. 3 Georgia
ATHENS, Ga. – The LSU Lady Tigers (8-13; 1-10 SEC) fell 7-0 to the third-ranked University of Georgia (16-2; 9-1 SEC) Friday at 3 p.m. CT at Dan Magill Complex.
Georgia started the day with two wins in doubles. The Bulldogs’ pair of fourth-ranked Silvia Garcia and Kate Fuller notched an 8-1 victory on court one over Mary Jeremiah and Ariel Morton before Georgia’s Lauren Herring and Maho Kowase duo scored an 8-2 victory over Kaitlin Burns and Ella Taylor on court three.
“I was very happy with the way we competed today and responded after a tough doubles point,” head coach Julia S. Sell said. “We have been playing an extremely tough schedule, and I am really proud of the girls for keeping such a positive attitude and continuing to improve. This is a very good Georgia team that is going to make a run at a national championship. They really proved today why they are No. 3 in the country.”
A series of Bulldog singles victories followed doubles and began with court four, as Georgia’s Fuller notched a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Morton. Senior Ebie Wilson followed with a 6-0, 6-0 loss to the Bulldogs’ Ayaka Okuno on court five.
Both freshman Ella Taylor and sophomore Jeremiah battled through their matches. Taylor marked a 6-0, 6-2 loss to Georgia’s 18th-ranked Kowase on court two, and Jeremiah took a 6-4, 6-4 loss to the Bulldogs’ No. 86 Garcia in the No. 3 position.
Senior Burns took on the eighth-ranked player in the nation, Herring, in the top spot and fell 6-2, 6-2. Competition wrapped up on court six, as freshman Caroline Hudson fell 6-2, 6-4 to Georgia’s Mia King.
LSU will conclude the weekend against the No. 28 University of Tennessee Sunday at noon CT at Varsity Tennis Courts.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#3 UGA 7, #59 LSU 0
1. #8 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. #18 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 6-0, 6-2
3. #86 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Ariel Morton (LSU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ayaka Okuno (UGA) def. Ebie Wilson (LSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Mia King (UGA) def. Caroline Hudson (LSU) 6-2, 6-4
1. #4 Silvia Garcia/Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Mary Jeremiah/Ariel Morton (LSU) 8-1
2. #59 Lauren Herring/Maho Kowase (UGA) vs. Ebie Wilson/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 6-2, unfinished
3. Mia King/Ayaka Okuno (UGA) def. Kaitlin Burns/Ella Taylor (LSU) 8-2
LSU 16-2, 9-1 SEC; National ranking #3
UGA 8-13, 1-10 SEC; National ranking #59
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,5,2,3,1,6)