Howlett Named SEC Tennis Player of the Week
BATON ROUGE - LSU women's tennis senior Olivia Howlett earned SEC Player of the Week recognition, the league office announced Wednesday after she went 3-0 in singles and added two doubles victories last week.
The Bridgewater, England, native's three singles wins came in dual match wins against Ohio State and No. 12 Tennessee, and a 6-1 loss at No. 7 Georgia.
She has won four-straight singles contests with one of those having come against (then) No. 51 Lauren Herring of Georgia.
Howlett is 11-5 this spring with a 7-2 record on court two.
She clinched the dual match against Ohio State earning a late break in the second set to prevail 6-3, 7-5.
Howlett went 2-1 alongside Yvette Vlaar in doubles during the week, and the pair has taken five or their previous six matches.
This is Howlett's first SEC honor. The last Lady Tiger to garner SEC Player of the Week recognition was Staten Spencer in April 2009.
LSU resumes action Friday against Mississippi State at 3 p.m. in Dub Robinson Stadium. Live stats will be available on www.LSUsports.net, and fans are encouraged to follow live updates and information on Twitter @LSUwten and at www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
2. Olivia Howlett (LSU) def. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Olivia Howlett (LSU) def. Caitlyn Williams (TENN) 6-2, 6-2
2. Olivia Howlett (LSU) def. #51 Lauren Herring (UG) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Olivia Howlett/Yvette Vlaar (LSU) def. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) 8-6
2. Olivia Howlett/Yvette Vlaar (LSU) def. Sarah Toti/Jesse Grace (TENN) 8-6
2. Lauren Herring/Kate Fuller (UG) def. Olivia Howlett/Yvette Vlaar (LSU) 8-2