TULSA, Okla. - The LSU Women's tennis team (7-5, 2-2 SEC) dropped its midweek road test by a 6-1 margin at the University of Tulsa's (11-3) Michael D. Case Tennis Center on Wednesday afternoon.
"We had opportunities today in doubles and singles, but we couldn't capitalize," LSU head coach Tony Minnis said. "Tulsa did a good job though, so we just need to regroup and get ready for Minnesota and Prairie View A&M."
Kaitlin Burns was the lone bright spot in singles for the Lady Tigers, as she battled back from an early 2-0 deficit in the second set for a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Ewa Szatkowska on court three.
The doubles point was closely contested as Ariel Morton and Ebie Wilson opened the day's action with their first win of the season together, an 8-2 triumph against Isaura Enrique and Michelle Fairley on court three.
Keri Frankenberger and Whitney Wolf then fell to Szatkowska and Anastasia Erofeeva 8-5 on court one to even the proceedings.
Olivia Howlett and Yvette Vlaar fought hard to battle back from an early 7-2 deficit, but their comeback stalled at 7-7 and they lost 9-7 to Bonny Davidson and Samantha Vickers on the decisive doubles court two.
LSU never recovered from dropping the doubles point as Olivia Howlett lost 6-1, 6-1 to Erofeeva on court one.
Wolf was taken down by Samantha Vickers 6-0, 6-4 on court two giving Tulsa a commanding 3-0 lead, which Burns quickly reduced to 3-1.
Enrique then clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-3 defeat of Ebie Wilson on court four.
Fairley pulled out a 7-6 (1), 6-4 win over Frankenberger on court five. Davidson outlasted Vlaar in a long first-set tiebreaker, which gave her all the momentum she would need as she finished the day with a 7-6 (12-10), 6-3 triumph on court six.
The Lady Tigers will return home for a non-conference doubleheader on Saturday against Minnesota at 1 p.m. CT before they face Prairie View A&M at 5 p.m.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and on www.facebook.com/lsuwten.
#31 Tulsa 6, #50 LSU 1
1. #91 Anastasia Erofeeva (TLS) def. Olivia Howlett (LSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. #67 Samantha Vickers (TLS) def. Whitney Wolf (LSU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Ewa Szatkowska (TLS) 6-4, 6-4
4. Isaura Enrique (TLS) def. Ebie Wilson (LSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Michelle Farley (TLS) def. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-4
6. Bonny Davidson (TLS) def. Yvette Vlaar (LSU) 7-6 (12-10), 6-3
1. #60 Anastasia Erofeeva/Ewa Szatkowska (TLS) def. Whitney Wolf/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 8-5
2. Bonny Davidson/Samantha Vickers (TLS) def. Olivia Howlett/Yvette Vlaar (LSU) 9-7
3. Ebie Wilson/Ariel Morton (LSU) def. Michelle Farley/Isaura Enrique (TLS) 8-2
LSU 7-5; National ranking #50
Tulsa 11-3; National ranking #31
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,2,3,4,5,6)