Women's Tennis Splits Two Matches at Home
BATON ROUGE -- The LSU Lady Tigers team (2-2) split a couple of matches, each by a 5-2 scoreline, with a victory over the Southern Jaguars (0-3) following their defeat against the Rice Owls (5-0) at the W.T. "Dub" Robinson Tennis Stadium on Tuesday.
"We had a disappointing loss against Rice," LSU head coach Tony Minnis said. "I thought we came out a little flat in a couple of doubles matches, but it was good to rebound and have a victory against Southern."
The Lady Tigers split the first two doubles matches of the day against Rice as Ana Guzman and Katie Gater of Rice defeated Olivia Howlett and Yvette Vlaar 8-5 on court two before Ebie Wilson and Kaitlin Burns leveled the doubles tie with an 8-5 win over Rice's Kimberly Anicete and Stephanie Nguyen on court three.
Dominique Harmath and Natalie Beazant then clinched the doubles point for Rice with an 8-5 win over Whitney Wolf and Keri Frankenberger.
Frankenberger then fell 6-2, 6-3 to Anicete on court five to give Rice a 2-0 advantage in the overall match score.
Olivia Howlett got LSU on the board with a 6-2, 6-4 triumph over Dominique Harmath on court two.
Rice then ran off three straight match wins to take the match with Natalie Beazant beating Whitney Wolf 7-5, 6-2 on court one, Katie Gater overcoming Ebie Wilson 6-3, 6-2 on court four and Stephanie Nguyen outlasting Yvette Vlaar 6-3, 7-6 (7-2) on court six.
Kaitlin Burns battled back from a set down to defeat Ana Guzman 6-7 (3-7), 6-1, 1-0 (11-9) in a dramatic "super tiebreaker" to close out the match on court three with a LSU win to make it 5-2.
The Lady Tigers came out firing in the nightcap against Southern as they took the doubles point winning the first two matches. Wolf and Frankenberger cruised 8-2 over Carlista Mohammed and Lois Alexis on court one, while Burns and Vlaar dropped a single game in their match against Demetria Woods and Gabrielle Moore on court two.
Morgan Taylor and Camara Davis of Southern then took down LSU's Paige Bahnsen and Hayley Everett 8-5 on court three.
Taylor next leveled the match for Southern with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Bahnsen on court six.
Wolf then regained control of the match for LSU giving the Lady Tigers a 2-1 lead they never relinquished as she won going away 7-5, 6-0 over Carlista Mohammed on court one.
Vlaar followed Wolf's lead as she also didn't drop a game in the second set en route to a 7-5, 6-0 victory over Lois Alexis on court four. The win was the Sophomore's 25th career victory and she has now won six of her last 10 matches.
Frankenberger clinched the overall match for LSU with a straight-set 6-1, 6-3 triumph on court three over Gabrielle Moore in a matchup, which finished just before Burns cruised over Demetria Woods 6-0, 6-2 on court two. Burns' win was her thirteenth win all-time on court two.
Southern's Camara Davis needed three sets to overcome Hayley Everett of LSU 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7) on court five.
The Lady Tigers are now 20-0 all-time against Southern.
LSU next takes the court Tuesday, Feb. 14 against Tulane at the "Dub" with play scheduled to get underway at 3 p.m. CT.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and on www.facebook.com/lsuwten.
#69 Rice 5, #65 LSU 2
1. Natalie Beazant (RICE) def. Whitney Wolf (LSU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Olivia Howlett (LSU) def. Dominique Harmath (RICE) 6-2, 6-4
3. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Ana Guzman (RICE) 6-7 (3-7), 6-1, 1-0 (11-9)
4. Katie Gater (RICE) def. Ebie Wilson (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) def. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Stephanie Nguyen (RICE) def. Yvette Vlaar (LSU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
1. Dominique Harmath/Natalie Beazant (RICE) def. Whitney Wolf/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 8-5
2. Ana Guzman/Katie Gater (RICE) def. Olivia Howlett/Yvette Vlaar (LSU) 8-5
3. Ebie Wilson/Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Kimberly Anicete/Stephanie Nguyen (RICE) 8-5
Rice 5-0; National ranking #69
LSU 1-2; National ranking #65
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,2,1,4,6,3)
#65 LSU 5, Southern 2
1. Whitney Wolf (LSU) def. Carlista Mohammed (SUBR) 7-5, 6-0.
2. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Demetria Woods (SUBR) 6-0, 6-2.
3. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Gabrielle Moore (SUBR) 6-1, 6-3.
4. Yvette Vlaar (LSU) def. Lois Alexis (SUBR) 7-5, 6-0.
5. Camara Davis (SUBR) def. Hayley Everett (LSU) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7).
6. Morgan Taylor (SUBR) def. Paige Bahnsen (LSU) 6-0, 6-1.
1. Whitney Wolf/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Carlista Mohammed/Lois Alexis (SUBR) 8-2
2. Kaitlin Burns/Yvette Vlaar (LSU) def. Demetria Woods/Gabrielle Moore (SUBR) 8-1
3. Morgan Taylor/Camara Davis (SUBR) def. Paige Bahnsen/Hayley Everett (LSU) 8-5
Southern U 0-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,1,4,3,2,5)