LSU Takes Care of Houston in Four Sets
Asst. Communications Director
HOUSTON, Texas – The LSU volleyball finished off the weekend with a four-set victory over Houston Saturday evening in Fertitta Center by scores of 23-25, 25-16, 25-13, 25-15. The Tigers are now 2-1 on the year, while Houston drops to 0-3.
Taylor Bannister led the Tigers for the third-straight match, tallying a match-high 13 kills. Whitney Foreman added 11 kills, while Karli Rose finished with 36 assists. Samarah Hill and Raigen Cianciulli each added 14 digs.
- The Tigers are on the road next weekend, heading to Iowa State for the Cyclone Invitational. The Tigers take on No. 8 Penn State Saturday at 2 p.m. CT and will face Iowa State Sunday at 12 p.m. CT.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LSU fell behind early, but rallied to get some momentum going and took a 5-4 lead. The two teams went back and forth until Houston went on a 4-0 run, taking a 10-6 lead on the Tigers.
- Houston pushed to a 12-7 lead and forced the Tigers to use their first timeout of the set.
- The Tigers worked their way back and came within two, 18-16 after a kill by Bannister. The two teams continue to trade points until Houston came out on top, claiming the first set 25-21.
- Both teams went point-for-point to start set two, but the Tigers went on a 5-0 run to take a 11-6 lead, forcing Houston to a timeout.
- The Tigers rallied and gained momentum to push them to a 18-10 lead, forcing Houston to its second timeout of the set.
- Houston worked its way back, but the Tigers closed out the set on a 7-6 run, including a kill from Foreman to end the set, 25-16.
- The Tigers jumped out to an 8-4 lead on Houston after a kill by Foreman. Momentum continued for the Tigers as they pushed to a 16-10 lead.
- An ace from freshman Jill Bohnet gave the Tigers a 18-10 lead, forcing the Cougars to a timeout.
- LSU closed out the set on a 7-3 run, claiming the set, 25-13, and a 2-1 lead on the match.
- The Tigers got out to a 5-0 lead to start the fourth set. Houston tried to work its way back but the Tigers continued to push, leading 10-6.
- Houston went on a little bit of a run, but a block by Anita Anwusi gave the Tigers the ball and a 16-10 lead.
- LSU went up 11 points for a 22-11 lead on the Cougars. Houston rallied a 3-0 run but a Samarah Hill kill got the ball back for the Tigers.
- The Tigers claimed the match on Bannister’s 13th kill on the match, winning the fourth set, 25-15.
- Bannister’s double-digit kill match is the third-straight. She was named to the Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup All-Tournament Team.
- The Tigers are now 17-10 against the Cougars all-time
- Foreman tallied a double-digit kill match, her second of the weekend.
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.