Tigers Open 2019 Season with Sweep of UT Arlington
Asst. Communications Director
HOUSTON, Texas – The LSU volleyball team opened up the 2019 season with a sweep of UT Arlington by scores of 25-19, 25-21, 25-23. The Tigers are 1-0 on the year and UTA is now 1-1.
- The Tigers continue play at the Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup Saturday, taking on Arizona State at 10 a.m. and Houston at 7 p.m. Click here to follow along.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LSU jumped out to a 5-1 lead after a kill by sophomore Whitney Foreman. The Tigers pushed to a 9-4 lead after a block by Foreman and freshman Samarah Hill
- The Tigers forced the Mavericks to its first timeout of the set as they led 14-9.
- The Tigers went on a 6-5 run to take a 20-14 lead and forcing UTA to use its second timeout of the set.
- Freshman Samarah Hill smashed one on the outside to put the Tigers up 23-17. A block by senior Sydney Mukes and freshman Anita Anwusi gave the Tigers set point.
- A block by Mukes and junior Taylor Bannister gave the Tigers the first set, 25-19. Bannister led the Tigers with four kills, while freshman Karli Rose tallied three digs and six assists.
- In set two, the Tigers trailed early, 7-6 to UTA, but went on a 3-0 run to take a 9-7 lead and force the Mavericks to a timeout.
- The Tigers used their first timeout as UTA took a 19-17 lead. But the Tigers came out and scored four-straight to take a 21-19 lead. UTA used its second timeout of the set.
- Out of the timeout, UTA tied the set up 21-21 but a kill from Anwusi put the Tigers back on top 22-21. LSU scored the next three points to take the second set 25-21 and a 2-0 lead on the match.
- The Tigers got out to a 6-3 lead in the third set after a Bannister ace and an attack error by the Mavericks. The Tigers pushed to a 10-8 lead after another attack error by UTA.
- LSU went point-for-point with UTA but still led 15-13. UTA worked its way back to tie the set up at 15 and the Tigers took a timeout.
- The Tigers worked their way back to take a 18-17 lead after a block by Bannister and Anwusi.
- Rose put a kill to a deep corner to give the Tigers a 22-20 lead. UTA went on a 3-0 run to take a 23-22 lead on the Tigers, forcing them to a timeout.
- The Tigers took a 24-23 lead after a block by Rose, forcing the Mavericks to a timeout.
- Another block for the Tigers ended the set and gave the Tigers their first win of the season.
- The Tigers start off the season 1-0 for the first time since 2017.
- LSU finished the match with 16 blocks, including eight coming from Anwusi.
- The Tigers are now 7-6 all-time against UT Arlington.
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.