Sunseri Propels Tigers to 2-0 Shutout of Baylor
Asst. Communications Director
WACO, Texas – The No. 10/7 LSU softball team used a couple of runs and great pitching performance from Shelbi Sunseri to down Baylor in game one of the three-game series, 2-0, at Getterman Stadium. The Tigers are now 39-11 on the year, while Baylor moves to 17-28.
The Tigers opened the game with runners on first and third. Aliyah Andrews led off the game with a single to the infield on a bunt, she stole second and ended up on third on a ground out to second. Shelbi Sunseri walked, but the next two fouled out to end the threat.
Shelbi Sunseri came up in the third and blasted a solo shot over the right field wall, her 14th on the year and the team’s 65th, which tied the single-season home run record by a team in program history.
Both teams threatened with runners in scoring position the rest of the way, but nothing came across for either team. The Tigers left seven runners on bases, while Baylor left eight.
Sunseri gets the win in the circle, improving to 11-5 on the year. She picked up her fifth shutout of the year, striking out two in her 10th complete game of the year.
- Shelbi Sunseri hit the team’s 65th home run to tie the program record for home runs in a single season by a team. It was her 14th on the season and first since March 23 at Georgia.
- Andrews has 43 stolen bases on the season, which is now two away from tying the single-season program record of 45 stolen bases.
- The Tigers are now 7-0 against Baylor since 1997 in program history.
- It is the 17th shutout for the Tigers. They are now 17-1 on the year in shutouts.
- When holding their opponents to two runs or less, the Tigers are 30-0.
- LSU is now 32-5 when putting a run on the board first.
- Sunseri has now had a hit in the last seven games, while Savannah Stewart goes to a three-game hitting streak.
The Tigers will face Baylor for game two and game three of the series on Saturday in a doubleheader. The doubleheader will begin at 5 p.m. CT and will stream live on Baylor Softball’s Facebook page.