Women's Tennis Team Falls in Quarterfinals to No. 1 Georgia
Communications Student Assistant
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – The No. 9 LSU women’s tennis team fell in the quarterfinals of the 2019 SEC Tournament to No. 1 Georgia by a score of 4-0 on Friday at the Mitchell Tennis Center.
"I thought the team fought like Tigers against the No. 1-ranked team in the country," co-head coach Michael Sell said. "I thought there were four points out there to grab, and if we had played the whole match it could have been a 4-3 ending. It was encouraging to see the way the team has come together and improve this season. Now it's time to get home to get healthy and prepared for the NCAA Tournament."
The Bulldogs took the doubles points with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3.
The pair of Katarina Jokic and Lourdes Carle were first off the doubles courts, defeating the No. 15-ranked pair of sophomore Eden Richardson and senior Jessica Golovin by a score of 6-1 at the No. 1 doubles.
Georgia clinched the doubles point when Meg Kowalski and Marta Gonzalez defeated senior Kennan Johnson and sophomore Taylor Bridges at No. 3, 6-2.
Georgia took the first singles point of the match when Eelena Christofi defeated Johnson 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 5 singles.
Georgia took a 3-0 lead after No. 62-ranked Vivian Wolff defeated junior Paris Corley at No. 4, 6-0, 6-4.
The Bulldogs clinched the match with a victory at the No. 6 spot, with No. 96-ranked Kowalski defeating freshman Anna Loughlan 6-4, 6-2.
The Tigers will find out their path in the NCAA Tournament when the brackets are released on Monday, April 29.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#1 Georgia 4, #28 LSU 0
1. #1 Katarina Jokic (UGA) vs. #8 Eden Richardson (LSU) 2-6, 5-3, unfinished
2. #19 Marta Gonzalez (UGA) vs. #61 Jessica Golovin (LSU) 2-6, 6-0, 1-2, unfinished
3. #64 Lourdes Carle (UGA) vs. Taylor Bridges (LSU) 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
4. #62 Vivian Wolff (UGA) def. Paris Corley (LSU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Elena Christofi (UGA) def. Kennan Johnson (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. #96 Meg Kowalski (UGA) def. Anna Loughlan (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Katarina Jokic/Lourdes Carle (UGA) def. Eden Richardson/Jessica Golovin (LSU) 6-1
2. #76 Elena Christofi/Vivian Wolff (UGA) vs. Anna Loughlan/Paris Corley (LSU) 5-2, unfinished
3. Meg Kowalski/Marta Gonzalez (UGA) def. Kennan Johnson/Taylor Bridges (LSU) 6-2
LSU 16-11; National ranking #28
Georgia 22-0; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,4,6)