Men's Tennis Sweeps Doubleheader; Beats UK, Nicholls
Communications Student Assistant
BATON ROUGE- The LSU men’s tennis team swept both Kentucky and Nicholls, 4-0, in a doubleheader on Saturday afternoon at the LSU Tennis Complex
With the wins, the Tigers increase to 16-8 overall and 3-7 in SEC play.
Co-Head Coach Chris Brandi on the Match
The freshman duo of Nick Watson and Boris Kozlov secured their match against Ryo Matsumura and Kevin Huempfner, 6-2, at the No. 3 doubles to push the deciding doubles point to court two.
After Enzo Wallart and Ying-Ze Chen knotted the match at the No. 2 doubles at 5-5, No. 39 Rafael Wagner and Joey Thomas were able to secure the next two games and finalize the doubles match, 7-5, to give the Tigers the 1-0 lead moving into singles play.
Moreno gave LSU the 3-0 lead on court six when he defeated Theo McDonald in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6(2).
Wagner clinched the match for the Tigers with an emphatic 6-4, 6-2 straight set victory over Wallart on court two.
Match 2 vs Nicholls State
The duo of Bhatnagar and freshman Ruy Teixeira were the first off the doubles court, defeating Dylan Loru and Lewis Cox 6-0 on court three.
Wagner and Thomas clinched the doubles point for LSU on court two with a 6-2 victory against Nestor Giribet and Moritz Borges.
Wagner extended the lead to 3-0 when he defeated Tobias Lentz in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, at court two.
LSU 4, UK 0
1. Shane Monroe (LSU) vs. Ryo Matsumura (UK) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
2. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Enzo Wallart (UK) 6-4, 6-2
3. Boris Kozlov (LSU) vs. Kento Yamada (UK) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
4. Malik Bhatnagar (LSU) def. Cesar Bourgois (UK) 6-3, 6-2
5. Joey Thomas (LSU) vs. Kevin Huempfner (UK) 7-5, 3-2, unfinished
6. Daniel Moreno (LSU) def. Theo McDonald (UK) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
1. Cesar Bourgois/Kento Yamada (UK) def. Shane Monroe/Daniel Moreno (LSU) 6-2
2. #39 Rafael Wagner/Joey Thomas (LSU) def. Enzo Wallart/Ying-Ze Chen (UK) 7-5
3. Boris Kozlov/Nick Watson (LSU) def. Ryo Matsumura/Kevin Huempfner (UK) 6-2
Kentucky 12-12 4-6 SEC
LSU 15-8 3-7 SEC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,6,2)
Official: Richie Weaver
LSU 4, Nicholls 0
1. Shane Monroe (LSU) vs. Oleksandr Podgursky (NICM) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
2. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Tobias Lentz (NICM) 6-1, 6-2
3. Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Dylan Loru (NICM) 6-0, 6-0
4. Malik Bhatnagar (LSU) vs. Néstor Giribet Lopez (NICM) 7-5, 1-1, unfinished
5. Nick Watson (LSU) vs. Eduardo Marino (NICM) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
6. Daniel Moreno (LSU) def. Moritz Borges (NICM) 6-1, 6-1
1. Shane Monroe/Daniel Moreno (LSU) vs. Oleksandr Podgursky/Tobias Lentz (NICM) 5-4, unfinished
2. Rafael Wagner/Joey Thomas (LSU) def. Néstor Giribet Lopez/Moritz Borges (NICM) 6-2
3. Malik Bhatnagar/Ruy Teixeira (LSU) def. Dylan Loru/Lewis Cox (NICM) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,2,6)
Official: Richie Weaver