Communications Student Assistant
COLUMBIA, Mo. – Junior Paris Corley earned her tenth win of the dual season when the LSU women’s tennis team defeated Missouri 4-0 on Sunday at the Mizzou Tennis Center.
The Tigers increase to 14-6 on the season and 4-4 in SEC play.
“I thought this was one of our best matches from start to finish,” co-head coach Julia Sell said. “We played a solid doubles point taking all three spots and then got off to good starts in singles. We carried our energy all the way through to the end. This was a difficult road swing travel-wise, and we’re happy to be heading back to Baton Rouge.”
The Tigers took the doubles point with a straight sweep at all courts.
Senior Kennan Johnson and sophomore Taylor Bridges struck first when they defeated Ellie Wright and Taylor Gruber at the No. 2 doubles by a score of 6-4.
The No.10-ranked duo of sophomore Eden Richardson and senior Jessica Golovin clinched the doubles point with a 6-4 win over Macken Middlebrooks and Serena Nash at the No. 1 doubles.
Freshman Anna Loughlan and Corley concluded the doubles action with a 6-4 win at the No. 3 doubles over Gabrielle Goldin and Lisa Fukutoku.
No. 60-ranked Golovin earned the first singles point of the day when she defeated Fukutoku in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2, at No. 2 singles. The win is Golovin’s 11th of the season, and third straight.
Corley extended the lead to 3-0 with an emphatic 6-0, 6-4, straight set victory at No. 4 singles. The win is Corley’s tenth of the dual season, and first in SEC play.
No. 10-ranked Richardson clinched the match for LSU with a 7-5, 6-2 win over No. 119 Middlebrooks. The win is her 11th of the season, and eighth against a ranked opponent.
The No. 21 Tigers return home for two SEC matches against No. 31 Florida at 4 p.m. CT on Friday, March 29, and against No. 6 South Carolina at noon CT on Sunday, March 31.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#21 LSU 4, Missouri 0
1. #10 Eden Richardson/Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Mackenzy Middlebrooks/Serena Nash (MIZ), 6-4
2. Kennan Johnson/Taylor Bridges (LSU) def. Ellie Wright/Taylor Gruber (MIZ), 6-4
3. Anna Loughlan/Paris Corley (LSU) def. Gabrielle Goldin/Lisa Fukutoku (MIZ), 6-4
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1. #10 Eden Richardson (LSU) def. #119 Mackenzy Middlebrooks (MIZ), 7-5, 6-2
2. #60 Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Lisa Fukutoku (MIZ), 6-0, 6-2
3. Serena Nash (MIZ) vs. Taylor Bridges (LSU), 3-6, 6-5, unfinished
4. Paris Corley (LSU) def. Ellie Wright (MIZ), 6-0, 6-4
5. Taylor Gruber (MIZ) vs. Kennan Johnson (LSU), 6-4, 4-6, 1-2 unfinished
6. Marta Oliveira (MIZ) vs. Luba Vasilyuk (LSU), 7-5, 5-3, unfinished
Order of finish: 2,4,1