Men's Tennis Continues Strong Start in Simmons Invite
Communications Graduate Assistant
BATON ROUGE — The LSU men’s tennis team has continued its strong start to the season with back-to-back 4-0 wins against Lamar and Georgia State in the Jerry Simmons Invitational Saturday at the LSU Tennis Complex.
With the wins, The No. 2-seeded Tigers improve to 4-0 on the season and will face No. 4 Penn State in the Jerry Simmons Invitational Championship Sunday at noon CT on the indoor courts.
There will be three other matches that take place Sunday at the tennis complex. Georgia State and South Florida will face off for third place at 9 a.m. CT on the indoor courts. Outside, Lamar and Nicholls will play for seventh place at 10 a.m. CT, and UNO will take on UL-Lafayette at noon CT in the fifth-place match.
Admission to all matches in the LSU Tennis Complex is free. Fans can follow the matches at www.LSUstats.com and on Twitter @LSUtennis. The matches can be streamed online at LSUsports.net/tennisvideo.
7th place match: Lamar/Nicholls (10 a.m.)
5th place match: ULL/UNO (noon)
Third place match: Georgia St./USF (9 a.m.)
Championship: LSU/Penn St. (noon)
Co-Head Coach Andy Brandi on the Match
“Obviously, we can get better with each match,” co-head coach Andy Brandi said. “It is very early in the season, and we still have a long way to go. I thought that overall if there was one thing I think we did very well today, we competed very well. There were some spots, especially in the second match, where things got tight, and we seemed to rise to the occasion and come through at difficult moments.”
“Tomorrow is going to be another tough match. South Florida is a ranked team, Penn State has had a lot of success, so we are like the new kid on the block. We were not on the radar screen for a long time, and little by little, we are trying to be a little bleep on the radar screen. We want to be known and be noticed. I think this weekend is the way to do it.”
MATCH 1 vs. Lamar
Senior Nikola Samardzic picked up right where he left off last week, sweeping Lamar’s Brock Lauer, 6-0, 6-1, on court six.
Joey Thomas followed Samardzic’s lead and secured a 6-0, 6-1 match against Arthur Serafim on court five to give LSU the 2-0 lead.
The Tigers took the 3-0 lead when Malik Bhatnagar defeated Nicolas Mayr on court three by a score of 6-0, 6-2, and senior Shane Monroe clinched the match for the Tigers taking a 6-4, 6-2 victory from Patrick Flischhauer on court one.
MATCH 2 vs. Georgia State
Senior duo Monroe and Samardzic quickly gave the Tigers an edge in doubles play after nabbing a 6-1 win on court two against Giles Hussey and Jack MacFarlane.
The Tigers were able to grab the doubles point on court one when Rafael Wagner and Thomas defeated Andrei Duarte and Roberts Grinvalds 6-4.
It was another quick sweep for the Tigers. Boris Kozlov was the first to score for LSU. The freshman worked consecutive 6-2 sets against Vazha Subladze to increase the Tiger lead to 2-0.
Bhatnagar took his second singles victory of the day on court three. This time, he defeated Quentin Coulaud, 7-5, 6-4, to put the Tigers up 3-0.
Wagner clinched the match for the Tigers with a gritty 6-2, 7-5 win against Grinvalds on court two.
After Sunday’s match, the Tigers will go on the road for the first time this season. LSU will face Tulane on Friday, Feb. 1 at 2 p.m. CT in New Orleans at City Park Pepsi Center at the same time that the LSU women’s tennis team faces the Tulane women.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Jerry Simmons Invitational Round 1
LSU 4, Lamar 0
1. Shane Monroe (LSU) def. Patrick Flischhauer (LU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Rafael Wagner (LSU) vs. Axel Vila Antuna (LU) 6-2, 4-3, unfinished
3. Malik Bhatnagar (LSU) def. Nicolas Mayr (LU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Boris Kozlov (LSU) vs. Joshua Taylor (LU) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
5. Joey Thomas (LSU) def. Arthur Serafim (LU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Brock Lauer (LU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: Singles (6,5,3,1)
Jerry Simmons Invitational Round 2
LSU 4, Georgia State 0
1. Shane Monroe (LSU) vs. Hussey,Giles (GSU) 6-3, 5-5, unfinished
2. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Grinvalds,Roberts (GSU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Malik Bhatnagar (LSU) def. Coulaud,Quentin (GSU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Subladze,Vazha (GSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Joey Thomas (LSU) vs. Showers,Bailey (GSU) 6-4, 6-5, unfinished
6. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) vs. Duarte,Andrei (GSU) 3-6, 6-3, 2-3, unfinished
1. Rafael Wagner/Joey Thomas (LSU) def. Duarte,Andrei/Grinvalds,Roberts (GSU) 6-4
2. Shane Monroe/Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Hussey,Giles/MacFarlane,Jack (GSU) 6-1
3. Malik Bhatnagar/Nick Watson (LSU) vs. Showers,Bailey/Padilha,Diego (GSU) 5-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,3,2)