Volleyball Sweeps Mississippi State Friday
Asst. Communications Director
STARKVILLE, Miss. - After hitting .374 for the match, the LSU volleyball team picked up a straight-set sweep of Mississippi State Friday evening inside Newell-Grissom Building by scores of 25-21, 25-12, 25-16. LSU is now 8-14 on the year and 3-8 in the SEC. Mississippi State is now 5-20 on the season and 1-11 in the SEC.
Taylor Bannister led the Tigers with 14 kills. Toni Rodriguez was right behind with 13 kills, hitting a match-high .591. Raigen Cianciulli anchored the back rown with 12 digs. Rodriguez and Lindsay Flory finished with nine digs each.
- The Tigers continue their road trip, heading over to Alabama on Sunday for a 1 p.m. match. The match will stream live on SEC Network+ and will be available via live stats at LSUStats.com.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The match started off with the Tigers scoring the first three points, including back-to-back kills from Olivia Beyer and Taylor Bannister.
- Mississippi State worked its way back and tied the set up at 5-5. The two teams would go point-for-point until the Bulldogs scored back-to-back points, taking an 11-9 lead on the Tigers.
- The Tigers tied it up at 11-11 with a kill by Bannister, but the Bulldogs went on a 3-0 run to take a 14-11 lead. The Bulldogs took a 15-13 lead into the media timeout.
- Leigh Maher found the open floor on the serve and tied the set up at 16-16, forcing the Bulldogs to a timeout. The Tigers forced the Bulldogs to a second timeout after an ace from Raigen Cianciulli and back-to-back kills from Toni Rodriguez.
- The Tigers rallied off three more points out of the timeout and only allowed three more points from the Bulldogs, taking the first set 25-21. Toni Rodriguez led the Tigers with six kills as the team hit .290 for the set.
- In the second set, the Tigers got out to a 2-0 lead thanks to two Bulldog attacking errors. The Tigers went on a 6-0 run to take a 10-3 lead, which included back-to-back kills from freshman Whitney Foreman.
- LSU pushed to a 15-5 lead going into the media timeout after a four run. LSU pushed to a 20-9 lead and forced the Bulldogs to a timeout.
- Another 3-0 run put the Tigers up 23-10. Mississippi State scored back-to-back points but the Tigers finished off the set with a kill by Bannister and attack error by the Bulldogs.
- The Tigers and the Bulldogs went point-for-point to start the third set. The two were tied at 8-8, but the Tigers took an 11-9 lead after three-straight points, including back-to-back kills from Rodriguez and Bannister.
- The Tigers pushed to a 19-13 lead, forcing the Bulldogs to take a timeout. Whitney Foreman put a kill off the block to give the Tigers a 21-15 lead, forcing the Bulldogs to use their final timeout of the set.
- LSU finished off the set with a 3-0 run, getting back-to-back kills from Bannister and Rodriguez to pick up the win, 25-16. The Tigers hit .314 on the set
- Bannister led the Tigers with 14 kills. This is Bannister’s 20th match leading the team and 19th match in double-digit kills.
- Rodriguez finished with 13 kills making it her seventh match in double digit kills on the year. She hit .591 on the match, making that number a career-high.
- The Tigers out-blocked Mississippi State, 4-0-1.0. LSU hit .366 on the match and out-killed the Bulldogs, 47-27.