LSU Sweeps Texas State for First Win of 2018
Asst. Communications Director
WACO, Texas – After falling in the first two matches of the season, the LSU volleyball team picked up its first win of the season Saturday evening in the Ferrell Center, a 3-0 sweep of Texas State by scores of 25-20, 25-23, 25-18. LSU is now 1-2 on the year, while Texas State falls to 0-3.
For the third-straight match, Taylor Bannister led the attack with a match-high 13 kills. Olivia Beyer added 10 kills, while Raigen Cianciulli anchored the back row with a match-high 14 digs. Lindsay Flory added 30 assists and six block assists.
- LSU returns home next weekend to host the Tiger Classic, August 31 and September 1. Texas A&M Corpus Christi, Duke and USF will be in the tournament field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LSU got off to a hot start, scoring the first three points of the match and pushing to a 6-1 lead, forcing Texas State to an early timeout.
- Out of the timeout, LSU pushed to a 12-4 lead, getting kills from freshman Whitney Foreman and senior Lindsay Flory.
- A big block by Flory and senior Olivia Beyer put the Tigers up 15-5 and forced Texas State to use its second timeout of the set.
- Texas State went on a 5-0 run to come within five, 20-15. LSU took a timeout to regroup.
- A back row kill from senior Katie Kampen sealed the deal for the Tigers in the first set, 25-20.
- LSU got out to a 4-2 lead in the second set, but fell behind 9-6 after a 6-1 run by Texas State.
- A 3-0 run by LSU tied the set up. LSU took advantage of a couple attacking errors by Texas State and a Flory’s fourth kill on the match.
- The two teams went point-for-point until the Tigers put together back-to-back points on a kill from Bannister and a block by Jacqui Armer and Flory, giving the Tigers a 15-13 lead.
- Back-to-back points gave the Tigers a 23-20 lead and forced Texas State to a timeout. LSU finished on a 4-3 run to take a 2-0 lead on the match.
- The teams opened up the third set by going point-for-point. Armer hammered down a kill to tie the set up at 6-6.
- LSU built more momentum, going up 15-10 and forcing Texas State to use a timeout. A Bannister kill and a couple of errors by Texas State put together a 3-0 run for the Tigers.
- Another 3-0 run put the Tigers up 20-15 putting them in position to finish on a 5-2 run and claim the match.
- The Tigers outblocked Texas State 12.0-3.0.
- LSU is now 4-1 against Texas State in program history.
- Bannister led the squad for the third-straight match with 13 kills. Olivia Beyer finished in double-digits with 10 kills.
- Cianciulli anchored the back row for the third-straight match, finishing in double-digit digs (14) for the third time on the year.
- Flory finished with six block assists and six kills.
- LSU hit .245 to Texas State’s .129. The Tigers also had 45 kills to Texas State’s 32.
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.