Volleyball Drops Match Against Marquette
Asst. Communications Director
WACO, Texas – The LSU volleyball team dropped its match against Marquette on Saturday afternoon in the Ferrell Center by scores of 22-25, 23-25, 14-25. The Tigers are now 0-2 on the year, while Marquette improves to 2-0.
Sophomore Taylor Bannister led the attack with a match-high 14 kills, while Raigen Cianciulli anchored the back row with a team-high 12 digs. The Tigers hit .245 on the match and picked up eight blocks.
- LSU takes on Texas State in its final match of the 2018 Hampton Inn & Suites Waco North Baylor Invitational on Saturday with a 5 p.m. match. LSU returns home next weekend to host the Tiger Classic, August 31 and September 1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Marquette got out to a 7-3 lead, but the Tigers worked their way back to come within one, 10-9 off a Bannister kill.
- The Tigers brought themselves within one, 12-11, but Marquette went on a 3-0 run to take a 15-11 lead and force LSU to take a timeout.
- LSU worked their way back and went on a 6-1 run. An attack error by Marquette tied the set up 19-19 and a Bannister kill took the 20-19 lead for LSU.
- The two teams went point-for-point late in the set, but Marquette went on a 4-0 run to take the first set, 25-22.
- Bannister led the squad in the first set with six kills on eight attempts (.625), four of those coming late in the set.
- LSU fell behind 7-4 in the second set, but came back on a 3-0 run to tie the set up 7-7.
- The two teams went back and forth, but the Tigers fell behind 18-14. LSU took a timeout, but Marquette came out of it on a 3-0 run, forcing the Tigers to take their second timeout.
- Out of the timeout, the Tigers were hot on a 4-1 run after back-to-back kills by Whitney Foreman and Toni Rodriguez.
- The Tigers fought hard late in the set, coming within one, 24-23 after a kill by Foreman, but Marquette took the set 25-23 of an LSU service error.
- Set three was tied 6-6 after a kill from Rodriguez, but Marquette went on a 4-0 run to force LSU to take its first timeout. The run continued to 6-0 as LSU trailed 12-6.
- LSU took another timeout as Marquette pushed to a 16-8 lead. But the Tigers only scored six more points as Marquette took the final set 25-14.
- Bannister’s 14 kills is her second-straight double-digit kill performance on the season. She finished the match hitting .407 (14 kills on 27 attempts).
- LSU is now 1-1 against Marquette in program history.
- Cianciulli’s 12 digs is her second-straight double-digit dig performance on the season. Freshman Leigh Maher finished with 11 digs.
- Freshman Kate Cowan made her debut in a Tiger uniform.
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.