Men's Tennis Falls in SEC Tournament Second Round
Communications Graduate Assistant
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — After earning a first round bye in the SEC Tournament, the LSU men’s tennis team fell, 4-0, in its second-round matchup against No. 19 Vanderbilt Thursday afternoon at the Alabama Tennis Stadium.
With the loss, LSU drops to 10-16 overall. Vanderbilt improves to 18-7 on the year.
Co-Head Coach Andy Brandi on the Matches
“It was a very hard-fought match,” co-head coach Andy Brandi said. “We are very proud of how our guys competed today, and we have a lot to build on from today’s match.”
On court three, Shane Monroe and Stewart Block dropped a 6-1 contest to George Harwell and Baker Newman. The Commodores clinched the doubles point on court two after Lachlan McPhee and Maxwell Freeman defeated Julian Saborio and Nikola Samardzic, 6-3.
Vanderbilt took the 2-0 lead after Freeman snatched consecutive 6-1 sets from Agie Moreno on court five.
After falling behind in the first set on court three, 6-0, Samardzic rebounded in the second set but was unable to complete the comeback and force a third set. The junior eventually fell to No. 122 Newman, 6-4.
The Commodores finalized the score on court one when No. 28 Daniel Valent defeated No. 72 Monroe, 6-0, 6-4.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#19 Vanderbilt 4, LSU 0
1. #28 Daniel Valent (VANDY) def. #72 Shane Monroe (LSU) 6-0, 6-4
2. #25 Cameron Klinger (VANDY) vs. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 7-6 (7-3), 3-2, unfinished
3. #122 Baker Newman (VANDY) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Billy Rowe (VANDY) vs. Julian Saborio (LSU) 6-7 (3-7), 4-4, unfinished
5. Maxwell Freeman (VANDY) def. Agie Moreno (LSU) 6-1, 6-1
6. George Harwell (VANDY) vs. Stewart Block (LSU) 6-7 (9-11), 2-1, unfinished
1. #12 Cameron Klinger/Billy Rowe (VANDY) vs. Rafael Wagner/Agie Moreno (LSU) 4-5, unfinished
2. Lachlan McPhee/Maxwell Freeman (VANDY) def. Julian Saborio/Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-3
3. George Harwell/Baker Newman (VANDY) def. Shane Monroe/Stewart Block (LSU) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,3,1)