Men's Tennis Falls in Final Road Match at No. 22 Vandy
Communications Graduate Assistant
NASHVILLE — The LSU men’s tennis team fell 7-0 in its final road match of the season to the No. 22 Vanderbilt Commodores Sunday afternoon at the Brownlee O. Currey Jr. Tennis Center.
With the loss, LSU drops to 8-12 on the season and 1-7 in Southeastern Conference play while Vanderbilt improves to 16-5 and 6-3 in the league.
Co-Head Coach Andy Brandi on the Match
“We fought and competed well,” co-head coach Andy Brandi said. “It was a big improvement from the Kentucky match Friday. We had three tough three set losses that could have made things interesting.”
The Commodores snatched the 1-0 lead after taking the doubles point. Rafael Wagner and Agie Moreno dropped a 6-2 match to No. 46 Cameron Klinger and Billy Rowe on court one, and on the second court Vanderbilt’s Baker Newman and George Harwell defeated Shane Monroe and Stewart Block, 6-2.
To give Vanderbilt the 2-0 lead, No. 56 Daniel Valent swept Wagner on court two in straight sets 6-1, 6-0.
On the third court, No. 100 Newman took straight-sets from Nikola Samardzic, 6-3, 6-2, and Vanderbilt had the 3-0 edge.
After dropping the first set to Harwell, Moreno forced the court five match into a third set. The sophomore was unable to hang on after taking the early lead in set three, and Harwell clinched the match for the Commodores, 6-1, 2-6, 6-4.
Vanderbilt made it 5-0 on court one when Monroe fell to No. 22 Klinger in a three-set thriller, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3, and the Commodores tacked on another point when Rowe rebounded in the final two sets on court four to defeat Saborio, 5-7, 6-4, 7-5.
Alex Ross earned a straight-set 6-4, 6-3 win from Block on court six to finalize the score at 7-0.
The Tigers will return home for a five-match home stand beginning at 5 p.m. CT Friday against South Carolina. The Tigers will also play host to Florida, Auburn, Mississippi State and New Orleans.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#22 Vanderbilt 7, LSU 0
1. #22 Cameron Klinger (VANDY) def. Shane Monroe (LSU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
2. #56 Daniel Valent (VANDY) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. #100 Baker Newman (VANDY) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Billy Rowe (VANDY) def. Julian Saborio (LSU) 5-7, 6-4, 7-5
5. George Harwell (VANDY) def. Agie Moreno (LSU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
6. Alex Ross (VANDY) def. Stewart Block (LSU) 6-4, 6-3
1. #46 Cameron Klinger/Billy Rowe (VANDY) def. Rafael Wagner/Agie Moreno (LSU) 6-2
2. #75 Panu Virtanen/Lachlan McPhee (VANDY) vs. Nikola Samardzic/Julian Saborio (LSU) 5-5, unfinished
3. Baker Newman/George Harwell (VANDY) def. Shane Monroe/Stewart Block (LSU) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,3,5,1,4,6)