Men's Tennis Drops 7-0 Match at No. 23 Kentucky
Communications Graduate Assistant
LEXINGTON, Ky. — The LSU men’s tennis team fell to the No. 23 Kentucky Wildcats, 7-0, Friday evening in the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex.
With the loss, LSU drops to 8-11 on the season and 1-6 in Southeastern Conference play. Kentucky improves to 13-6 overall and 6-2 in the league.
Co-Head Coach Chris Brandi on the Match
“Kentucky just took it to us today in all the big moments, and they played a great match,” co-head coach Chris Brandi said. “It was disappointing we didn’t pull out a few singles matches there at the end when we had a lot of chances. We have to trust our games and go for it at crunch time.”
On the top court, No. 31 Cesar Bourgois and Gus Benson took a 6-4 match from Rafael Wagner and Agie Moreno. The Wildcats captured the doubles point on court two as Enzo Wallart and Ryotaro Matsumrua defeated Nikola Samardzic and Julian Saborio, 7-5.
Kentucky nabbed the 2-0 lead after Wallert took a straight-set 6-2, 6-1 win from Samardzic on court three. Saborio convincingly earned the first set, 6-3, against Trey Yates on court four, but the sophomore was unable to hang on and fell in consecutive 6-2 sets to give the Wildcats the 3-0 lead.
No. 26 Matsumura clinched the match for the Wildcats on court one after Shane Monroe dropped back-to-back 6-3 sets.
Kentucky snagged the 5-0 lead with a win on court two when Wagner fell to Bushamuka, 6-7(1), 7-6(9), 11-9. With a 6-4, 3-6, 10-6 win by Bourgois on court six against Stewart Block, the Wildcats made it a 6-0 match and then finalized the score at 7-0 when Moreno dropped straight sets, 7-6, 6-1 to Austin Hussey.
LSU continues its road weekend with a match at noon CT Sunday in Nashville against Vanderbilt.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#23 Kentucky 7, LSU 0
1. #26 Ryotaro Matsumura (KENTUCKY) def. Shane Monroe (LSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Will Bushamuka (KENTUCKY) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-7 (1-7), 7-6 (11-9), 11-9
3. Enzo Wallart (KENTUCKY) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Trey Yates (KENTUCKY) def. Julian Saborio (LSU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Austin Hussey (KENTUCKY) def. Agie Moreno (LSU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Cesar Bourgois (KENTUCKY) def. Stewart Block (LSU) 6-4, 3-6, 10-6
1. #31 Cesar Bourgois/Gus Benson (KENTUCKY) def. Agie Moreno/Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-4
2. Enzo Wallart/Ryotaro Matsumura (KENTUCKY) def. Nikola Samardzic/Julian Saborio (LSU) 7-5
3. Will Bushamuka/Austin Hussey (KENTUCKY) vs. Shane Monroe/Stewart Block (LSU) 5-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,4,1,2,6,5)