Beach Volleyball Extends Home Win-Streak to 15
Communications Student Assistant
BATON ROUGE – After defeating UAB and No. 15 Arizona at the LSU Beach Invitational on Friday, the 10th-ranked LSU beach volleyball team extended its home winning streak at Mango’s Beach Club to 15 matches.
“We keep finding ways to make it interesting and impressive,” said coach Russell Brock. “We had some really gutsy performances today. I’m really pleased with what we did today, and more importantly how we did it, just as a team and pulling together when we needed to.”
The day started with a straight sweep of UAB. Every pair from LSU won their match in consecutive sets. On Court 4, Megan Davenport and Emmy Allen kicked things off, winning 21-11 in both sets. Maddie Ligon and Riley Young shortly followed suite with consecutive 21-14 set victories to give LSU the 2-0 edge.
In its second match of the day, LSU faced its only ranked competition of the weekend in No. 15 Arizona.
The Tigers fell behind after suffering a three-set defeat on Court 5. Ligon and Young took the first set, 21-19, but were unable to finish the job. The LSU duo fell, 21-13 in set two before dropping the third set, 15-11 as Arizona jumped out to an early lead.
It took a gutsy performance from Allen on Court 4 as she and Davenport took the match in three sets. After taking the first set, 21-16, the LSU duo fell in set two, 18-21. Allen and Davenport battled hard in the third set to even the match with a 15-9 win.
On Court 3, Domanski and Powers fell in consecutive sets, 21-13 and 21-18. To even the match back up, Coppola and Nuss won their ninth-consecutive match, all of which have been in straight sets, 21-14 and 21-15.
After falling in the first set, 21-14, the Court 2 duo of Mandi Orellana and Nelson took set two, 21-16. With the third set tied at 14, the LSU pair scored on consecutive points to take the court and clinch the match for the Tigers over Arizona.
Dating back to last season, LSU has now won 15-consecutive home matches at Mango’s Beach Club.
“When you look at that last match, and you see the court surrounded, and you hear the music playing, and our team is all there getting into it, it brings the same feeling that you get in Death Valley on Saturday nights where you get the energy of a crowd propelling the team,” said brock of the Mango’s atmosphere. “It’s been a long time since we’ve lost here heading back to last year. It’s something that we’ve needed and obviously, we’re taking advantage of now.”
On Saturday, the Tigers will face Texas A&M – Kingsville at 1 p.m. and will close the weekend against Jacksonville State at 3 p.m.
The full Saturday schedule can be found at the bottom of this page.
#10 LSU Tigers 5, UAB 0
1. Kristen Nuss/Claire Coppola (LSU) def. Devon May/Kenley Adams (UAB) 21-10, 21-14
2. Haleigh Nelson/Ashley Allmer (LSU) def. Avei Logoleo/Haley Jared (UAB) 22-20, 21-19
3. Olivia Powers/Hunter Domanski (LSU) def. Erin Bognar/Emily Martinez (UAB) 21-19, 21-18
4. Megan Davenport/Emmy Allen (LSU) def. Kaylee McClure/Tressa Buckland (UAB) 21-11, 21-11
5. Maddie Ligon/Riley Young (LSU) def. SalliAnne Napolitano/Gabbi Moreno (UAB) 21-14, 21-14
Ext. Jeni Clark/Emily Hardesty (LSU) def. Alex Kells/Annie Pringle (UAB) 21-17, 19-21, 15-13
#10 LSU Tigers def. #15 Arizona, 3-2
1. Claire Coppola/Kristen Nuss (LSU) def. Natalie Anselmo/Olivia Macdonald (ZONA) 21-14, 21-15
2. Mandi Orellana/Haleigh Nelson (LSU) def. Olivia Hallaran/Kacey Nady (ZONA) 14-21, 21-16, 16-14
3. Stephany Purdue/Lailey Devlin (ZONA) def. Hunter Domanski/Olivia Powers (LSU) 21-13, 21-18
4. Megan Davenport/Emmy Allen (LSU) def. Makenna Martin/Mia Mason (ZONA) 21-16, 18-21, 15-9
5. Jonny Baham/Brooke Burling (ZONA) def. Maddie Ligon/Riley Young (LSU) 19-21, 21-13, 15-11
Ext. Lilly Kessler/Kahlee York (LSU) def. Jaclyn Inclan/Caroline Cordes (ZONA) 21-8, 21-19
9 am - UCA vs No. 15 Arizona
10 am - JSU vs UCA
11 am - UAB vs TAMUK
Noon - TAMUCC vs No. 15 Arizona
1 pm - LSU vs TAMUK
2 pm - TAMUCC vs UAB
3 pm – No. 10 LSU vs JSU