Women's Tennis Edged by No. 10 Ole Miss
Communications Student Assistant
BATON ROUGE --- The No. 47 LSU women’s tennis team dropped only its second home match of the season to the 10th-ranked Ole Miss Rebels by a score of 4-2 at the LSU Tennis Complex Friday.
The Tigers fell to 12-6 (3-5 SEC) on the season with the loss while Ole Miss improved to 14-5 (5-4 SEC).
“I’m pretty proud of the way we played today,” co-head coach Julia Sell said. “We had our chances and we put ourselves in a position to win, but we just didn’t execute on a few of those courts. But at this point in the season, if we’re in that position to beat a top-10 team then that’s where we need to be.”
Ole Miss started singles play with a win on court six to increase its lead to 2-0, but Johnson answered with a straight-set win on court four to put the first point on the board for LSU.
Jessica Golovin tied the score at 2-2 by defeating No. 82 Tea Jandric, 6-3, 6-3, as the remaining Tigers continued to battle it out on the singles courts.
Ole Miss took the 3-2 lead with a win on court five before No. 17 Arianne Hartono clinched the match with a win on the top court to seal the afternoon 4-2 in favor of the Rebels.
LSU will return to the courts Sunday, April 1, for the final home match of the season against No. 25 Mississippi State at noon CT at the LSU Tennis Complex.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#10 Ole Miss 4, #47 LSU 2
1. #17 Arianne Hartono (OM) def. Ryann Foster (LSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. #120 Eden Richardson (LSU) vs. #90 Sabina Machalova (OM) 6-2, 2-6, 5-1, unfinished
3. #80 Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. #82 Tea Jandric (OM) 6-3, 6-3
4. Kennan Johnson (LSU) def. Anna Vrbenska (OM) 6-2, 6-3
5. Alexa Bortles (OM) def. Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Tereza Janatova (OM) def. Ashton Rabalais (LSU) 6-0, 6-0
1. #7 Arianne Hartono/Alexa Bortles (OM) def. #27 Eden Richardson/Jessica Golovin (LSU) 6-1
2. Ryann Foster/Kennan Johnson (LSU) def. Sabina Machalova/Tea Jandric (OM) 6-2
3. Allie Sanford/Tereza Janatova (OM) def. Luba Vasilyuk/Ashton Rabalais (LSU) 6-2
LSU 12-6, 3-5 SEC; National ranking #47
Ole Miss 14-5, 5-4 SEC; National ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,4,3,5,1)