Men's Tennis Drops Contest at No. 32 Tulane, 7-0
Communications Graduate Assistant
NEW ORLEANS— In its final road match before a weekend home stand, the LSU men’s tennis team fell to No. 32 Tulane, 7-0, Wednesday evening at the City Park Tennis Center.
With the loss, LSU falls to 8-8 on the season while Tulane improves to 11-5.
Co-Head Coach Chris Brandi on the Matches
“Tulane was just too good today,” co-head coach Chris Brandi said. “They made a few doubles lineup adjustments and played well at every point. In singles, we had some bright spots that we can build on for this weekend. We need to grab a match or two in these type of situations, but overall, we competed when things didn’t go our way.
For the first time this season, Agie Moreno and Rafael Wagner competed on court one, and the sophomore duo dropped a 6-1 match to Constantin Schmitz and Ewan Moore. On court two, Tyler Schick and Hamish Stewart defeated Nikola Samardzic and Julian Saborio, 6-2. Tulane snagged the doubles point to take the 1-0 lead.
On court five, Moreno fell in straight sets to Luis Erlenbusch, 6-0, 6-2. Samardzic dropped a 6-2, 6-0 match to Schick on court four, and Tulane clinched the match and took the 4-0 lead when No. 19 Schmitz earned a 6-3, 6-1 win against Shane Monroe on court one.
Saborio forced his match into a third-set tiebreaker on court three but was unable to jump ahead, eventually falling to Stewart, 4-6, 7-5, 1-0(7).
No. 77 Moore snagged consecutive 6-4 sets from Wagner on court two, and Tulane finalized the match after Stewart Block fell to Tim Ruetzel, 7-6(2), 6-4.
The Tigers have a home weekend of tennis beginning at 5 p.m. CT Friday, March 23, when LSU and Georgia meet at the LSU Tennis Complex.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#32 Tulane 7, LSU 0
1. #19 Constantin Schmitz (TLN) def. Shane Monroe (LSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. #77 Ewan Moore (TLN) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Hamish Stewart (TLN) def. Julian Saborio (LSU) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Tyler Schick (TLN) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Luis Erlenbusch (TLN) def. Agie Moreno (LSU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Tim Ruetzel (TLN) def. Stewart Block (LSU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
1. Constantin Schmitz/Ewan Moore (TLN) def. Agie Moreno/Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-1
2. Tyler Schick/Hamish Stewart (TLN) def. Nikola Samardzic/Julian Saborio (LSU) 6-2
3. Luis Erlenbusch/Tim Ruetzel (TLN) vs. Stewart Block/Shane Monroe (LSU) 3-4, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,4,1,3,2,6)