Richardson Clinches 4-2 Win Over No. 33 Arkansas
Communications Student Assistant
BATON ROUGE --- The No. 43 LSU women’s tennis team defeated the No. 33 Arkansas Razorback by a score of 4-2 behind a match-clinching comeback from freshman Eden Richardson at the LSU Tennis Complex Thursday.
The Tigers improved to 11-4 (2-3 SEC) on the season with the win while Arkansas fell to 5-8 (1-3 SEC).
The Tigers dropped the doubles point after Arkansas claimed a pair of victories on courts two and three, then the Razorbacks got off to a 2-0 overall lead after a court six win in singles play.
Junior Kennan Johnson narrowed the Razorbacks’ lead to 2-1 with a tough 6-4, 7-5 win on court four over Tatum Rice.
Ryann Foster breezed through the first set over No. 66 Giulia Pairone on court one, 6-2, before the second set went to a tiebreaker. Down 3-1 in the tiebreaker at one point, Foster fought back to take the second set and level the score at 2-2, picking up her highest-ranked win of the dual season thus far.
After dropping the first set to Mia Jurasic on court three, Jessica Golovin flipped a switch and absolutely dominated Jurasic in the next two sets, 6-2, 6-0, to increase LSU’s lead to 3-2. At the time of Golovin’s win, freshmen Eden Richardson and Luba Vasilyuk were battling it out in the third sets on courts two and five, respectively, with LSU needing just one more point to clinch the match.
Richardson delivered with a dominant 6-2 third set to pick up the second-highest ranked win of her career against No. 87 Oparenovic to clinch the match for the Tigers, who improve to 10-1 at home this season.
The Tigers will face off against Missouri on Saturday, March 17, at noon CT as part of the LSU women’s tennis team’s senior tribute.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#43 LSU 4, #33 Arkansas 2
1. Ryann Foster (LSU) def. #66 Giulia Pairone (ARK) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
2. Eden Richardson (LSU) def. #87 Ana Oparenovic (ARK) 2-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2
3. #67 Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Mia Jurasic (ARK) 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
4. Kennan Johnson (LSU) def. Tatum Rice (ARK) 6-4, 7-5
5. Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) vs. Natsuho Arakawa (ARK) 7-6 (5), 3-6, 4-4, unfinished
6. Agne Cepelyte (ARK) def. Ashton Rabalais (LSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. #50 Eden Richardson/Jessica Golovin (LSU) vs. #30 Ana Oparenovic/Tatum Rice (ARK) 4-5, unfinished
2. Giulia Pairone/Mia Jurasic (ARK) def. Ryann Foster/Kennan Johnson (LSU) 6-3
3. Agne Cepelyte/Natsuho Arakawa (ARK) def. Luba Vasilyuk/Ashton Rabalais (LSU) 6-0
LSU 11-4, 2-3 SEC; National ranking #43
Arkansas 5-8, 1-3 SEC; National ranking #33
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,4,1,3,2)