Wagner Notches 14th Win as Ole Miss def. Men's Tennis
Communications Graduate Assistant
OXFORD, Miss. —Sophomore Rafael Wagner recorded his team-best 14th singles win with a straight-set, 6-2, 6-1 victory on court three against Ole Miss’ Zvonimir Babic, as the LSU men’s tennis team dropped its second road contest of the weekend, 4-1, to the No. 30 Rebels, Sunday afternoon at the Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center.
With the loss, LSU fell to 7-5 on the season and 0-2 in SEC play, while Ole Miss improved to 9-3 and 1-1 in conference action.
Co-Head Coach Andy Brandi on the Matches
“Overall, we played a good match and were very competitive in singles on the top three courts,” co-head coach Andy Brandi said. “We need to be competitive in all of the matches and have to improve on deuce points. In doubles, we did a great job on court one.”
No. 24 Babic and Filip Kraljevic worked a 6-1 win against Wagner and Agie Moreno on court two to open doubles action. Shane Monroe and Stewart Block were unable to hold on as Gustav Hansson and Finn Reynolds snatched the 6-3 win on court three to give Ole Miss the 1-0 lead moving into singles play.
Julian Saborio dropped a straight-set match to Grey Hamilton on court four to start singles play, and Ole Miss had the 2-0 lead before LSU took its only point of the match with the win by Wagner on court three.
Moreno was swept in consecutive 6-2 sets by No. 85 Kraljevic on court six as Ole Miss jumped to the 3-1 lead. The Rebels clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-2 win on court five by Fabian Fallert against Nikola Samardzic.
LSU opens its home SEC slate with a match against Alabama, Friday, March 9, at 4 p.m. CT at the LSU Tennis Complex before continuing conference action on the road at Tennessee Sunday, March 11.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#30 Ole Miss 4, LSU 1
1. #31 Gustav Hansson (OM) vs. Shane Monroe (LSU) 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
2. #15 Tim Sandkaulen (OM) vs. Gabor Csonka (LSU) 4-6, 4-4, unfinished
3. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Zvonimir Babic (OM) 6-2, 6-1
4. Grey Hamilton (OM) def. Julian Saborio (LSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Fabian Fallert (OM) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. #85 Filip Kraljevic (OM) def. Agie Moreno (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
1. #15 Tim Sandkaulen/Fabian Fallert (OM) vs. Gabor Csonka/Julian Saborio (LSU) 4-4, unfinished
2. #24 Zvonimir Babic/Filip Kraljevic (OM) def. Rafael Wagner/Agie Moreno (LSU) 6-1
3. Gustav Hansson/Finn Reynolds (OM) def. Shane Monroe/Stewart Block (LSU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,3,6,5)