Beach Volleyball Finishes 2-2 at UNF Invitational
LSU Sports Interactive
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. – The No. 6 LSU Beach Volleyball team is on its way home from the UNF Beach Invitational after going 2-2 on the weekend, bringing its record to 5-3 on the season. On Sunday, the Tigers fell in the morning to 17th ranked Florida Atlantic 4-1, but they bounced back later in the day to gain a 5-0 win over UNC Wilmington.
"Nothing has changed about our goals," said coach Russell Brock. "We had some matches this weekend that showed us both, areas of where we can improve, and ways to play with confidence and excution."
In the first match of the morning against the 17th ranked Florida Atlantic squad, LSU fell behind early. The number four court of Olivia Powers and Megan Davenport lost in consecutive sets, 21-10 and 21-19. On Court 5, Emily Hardesty and Gina Tillis did not fare any better. The LSU duo lost sets one and two by the same score, 21-14, and LSU fell behind 2-0 in the match.
The Court 1 duo for LSU, Claire Coppola and Kristen Nuss, improved to 7-0 on the season and won in consecutive sets for the sixth-straight match. Coppola and Nuss won in set one 21-11 and in set two 21-14.
FAU clinched the match on Court 2 when the LSU pair of Haleigh Nelson and Hunter Domanski fell in back-to-back sets 21-16 and 21-18. Emmy Allen and Maddie Ligon won their first set on Court 3, 21-15, but the FAU duo battled back in the second set to take it 26-24. The court went to a deciding third set where Allen and Ligon fell 15-11 to give FAU the 4-1 victory over the Tigers.
The Tigers bounced back in their second match of the day against UNC Wilmington. The Court 4 pair of Hardesty and Davenport, playing their first match together, won in consecutive sets, 21-17 and 21-7.
After falling 15-21 in the first set, Lilly Kessler and Tillis won set two 21-17 on Court 5. The LSU duo finished the comeback with a 15-8 set three victory.
With LSU leading the match 2-0, the Court 1 pair of Coppola and Nuss won in back-to-back sets for the seventh-straight match and moved to 8-0 on the season. The LSU duo won in set one 21-14 and in set two 21-13.
The Tigers started out 3-0 against UNC Wilmington to clinch the match. Ligon and Allen continued the quality play for LSU as they won on Court 3 in two sets, both times by a score of 21-16. Nelson and Domanski fell in set one on Court 2 21-18, but they came back in the second set to force a third, winning 21- 13. The LSU pair prevailed in the third set to clinch the sweep for Tigers and win 15-13.
The Tigers will be back in action next weekend when they travel to Los Angeles, California for the East vs. West Challenge. While LSU is in L.A., the Tigers will take on four top-10 teams. On Saturday, LSU will go against No. 3 UCLA before taking on top ranked USC. Sunday, the Tigers will face No. 5 Pepperdine first. LSU will end its weekend against 2nd ranked Hawaii.
Day 2 UNF Beach Invitational Results
No. 17 Florida Atlantic def. No. 6 LSU, 4-1
1. (LSU) Claire Coppola/Kristen Nuss def. (FAU) Brittany Pellitteri/Carly Scarborough (21-11, 21-14)
2. (FAU) Gabrielle Dischler/Jessalyn Kinlaw def. (LSU) Haleigh Nelson/Hunter Domanski (21-16, 21-18)
3. (FAU) Nicole Navarro/Nicole Grant def. (LSU) Emmy Allen/Maddie Ligon (15-21, 26-24, 15-11)
4. (FAU) Amanda Silva/Kaila Dorish def. (LSU) Olivia Powers/Megan Davenport (21-10, 21-
5. (FAU) Erica Brok/Mackenzie Morris def. (LSU) Emily Hardesty/Gina Tillis (21-14, 21-14)
No.6 LSU def. UNCW Wilmington, 5-0
1. (LSU) Claire Coppola/Kristen Nuss def. (UNCW) Maddy Kline/Nicole Lott (21-15, 21-13)
2. (LSU) Haleigh Nelson/Hunter Domanski def. (UNCW) Halle Hunt/JM Lewandowski (18-21, 21-13, 15-12)
3. (LSU) Emmy Allen/Maddie Ligon def. (UNCW) Sarah Kelly/Raquel Rooney (21-16, 21-16)
4. (LSU) Emily Hardesty/Megan Davenport def. (UNCW) Katie McCullough/Brynn Montgomery (21-17, 21-7)
5. (LSU) Lilly Kessler/Gina Tillis def. (UNCW) Courtney Mullinax/Jaime Thomas (15-21, 21-14, 15-8)