Women's Tennis Drops SEC Opener to No. 10 Georgia
Communications Student Assistant
BATON ROUGE --- The No. 43 LSU women’s tennis team dropped its first home match of the season in the SEC opener against No. 10 Georgia by a score of 4-0 Friday at the LSU Tennis Complex.
The Tigers fell to 9-2 (0-1 SEC) on the season with the loss while Georgia moved to 6-2 (1-0 SEC).
The Tigers started the match by dropping the doubles point despite Jessica Golovin and Eden Richardson picking up the highest-ranked doubles win of their respective careers over the No. 8 pairing of Katarina Jokic and Mariana Gould on court two.
Mariana Gould, ranked No. 96 in the country, defeated LSU’s Kennan Johnson on court four to give Georgia the early 2-0 lead, marking just the second time Johnson has been defeated in her past 19 matches dating back to the fall.
Georgia quickly followed with another singles win on court six before the Bulldogs clinched the match when sixth-ranked Katarina Jokic handed senior No. 102 Ryann Foster her first loss of the dual season on court one.
The Tigers will play in the final match of their current eight-match home stand on Sunday, March 4 against No. 17 Tennessee at noon CT.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#10 Georgia 4, #43 LSU 0
1. #6 Katarina Jokic (UGA) def. #102 Ryann Foster (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. #80 Jessica Golovin (LSU) vs. #53 Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) 6-4, 4-4, unfinished
3. #105 Eden Richardson (LSU) vs. Elena Christofi (UGA) 2-6, 3-5, unfinished
4. #96 Mariana Gould (UGA) def. Kennan Johnson (LSU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) vs. Vivian Wolff (UGA) 2-6, 6-4, unfinished
6. Annette Goulak (UGA) def. Ashton Rabalais (LSU) 6-1, 6-0
1. #11 Morgan Coppoc/Elena Christofi (UGA) def. Ryann Foster/Kennan Johnson (LSU) 6-2
2. Eden Richardson/Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. #8 Katarina Jokic/Mariana Gould (UGA) 6-1
3. Kennedy Shaffer/Annette Goulak (UGA) def. Luba Vasilyuk/Ashton Rabalais (LSU) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,6,1)