Beach Volleyball Finishes Opening Weekend 3-1
Communications Student Assistant
PHOENIX, Ariz. – The LSU Beach Volleyball team finished their weekend at the GCU Beach Tournament this morning with a win 5-0 against Nebraska. The Tigers lost to No. 2 Pepperdine in the first match of the day, 4-1. LSU finished opening weekend with a 3-1 record.
LSU will be back in action next weekend at the UNF Beach Invitational on March 3-4.
"We had a succesful weekend," said coach Russell Brock. "It was a great opportunity to see what we can translate from practice to competition and it gave us an opportunity to see what we still need to work on."
Against Pepperdine, No. 3 pair Olivia Powers and Maddie Ligon fell in consecutive sets against Pepperdine by scores of 21-11. The Tigers came back with Claire Coppola and Kristen Nuss who, on Court 1, won 25-23 and 21-16 to even the match at 1-1.
On the No. 5 court, Emily Hardesty and Gina Tillis dropped consecutive sets, 21-17 and 21-12, as did Haleigh Nelson and Hunter Domanski on Court 2, 30-28 and 21-15, clinching the victory for Pepperdine.
Still on Court 4, Emmy Allen and Megan Davenport, there was a third set to be played. After winning the first set by a score of 21-16 and losing the second 21-14, the LSU duo fell 15-13 as Pepperdine won the match 4-1.
"We didn't play our best against Pepperdine, but to be in all of those matches is encouraging," said Brock. "When we get those opportunities we can't let them slip by. We play Pepperdine a few more times this year. We will need to continue to progress as a team and as a program"
LSU matched up with Nebraska later in the morning and it jumped out to an early 2-0 lead. First, the No. 4 pair of Allen and Davenport won in consecutive sets, 21-5 and 22-20. Hardesty and Tillis took Court 5 shortly thereafter with scores of 21-13 and 21-16.
The Tigers went on to win all the courts in two sets for a perfect sweep against Nebraska. The No. 1 pair of Coppola in Nuss won by scores of 21-15 and 21-17. On Court 2, Nelson and Domanski made quick work with scores of 21-14 and 21-9. Lastly, on Court 3, Powers and Ligon won 21-13 and 22-20. The Tigers swept Nebraska, 5-0.
Day 2 - GCU Tournament Results
Match 1 No. 2 Pepperdine def. No. 6 LSU 4-1
- (LSU) Claire Coppola and Kristen Nuss def. (Pepperdine) Deahna Kraft and Corinne Quiggle (25-23, 21-16)
- (Pepperdine) Brook Bauer and Maddie Roh def. (LSU) Haleigh Nelson and Hunter Domanski (30-28, 21-15)
- (Pepperdine) Heidi Dyer and Gigi Hernandez def. (LSU) Olivia Powers and Maddie Ligon (21-15, 21-11)
- (Pepperdine) Skylar Caputo and Alexis Filippone def. (LSU) Emmy Allen and Megan Davenport (16-21, 21-14, 15-13)
- (Pepperdine) Kaity Bailey and Katie Gauin def. (LSU) Emily Hardesty and Gina Tillis (21-17, 21-12)
Match 2 LSU def. Nebraska 5-0
- (LSU) Claire Coppola and Kristen Nuss def. (Nebraska) Annika Albrecht and Lauren Stivrens (21-15, 21-17)
- (LSU) Haleigh Nelson and Hunter Domanski def. (Nebraska) Jazz Sweet and Kenzie Maloney (21-14, 21-9)
- (LSU) Olivia Powers and Maddie Ligon def. (Nebraska) Kelly Hunter and Sami Slaughter (21-13, 2220)
- (LSU) Emmy Allen and Megan Davenport def. (Nebraska) Allie Havers and Jasmine Schmidt (21-13, 22-20)
- (LSU) Emily Hardesty and Gina Tillis def. (Nebraska) Chesney McClellan and Hayley Densburger (21-13, 21-16)
For the latest information on LSU’s beach volleyball team, fans can follow the Tigers on Twitter and Instagram @LSUbeachVB and @RussLSUbeach, or on Facebook by liking LSU Beach Volleyball.