Women's Tennis Defeats Nicholls, 6-1
Communications Student Assistant
BATON ROUGE --- The No. 23 LSU women’s tennis team rolled past the Nicholls State Colonels by a score of 6-1 at the LSU Tennis Complex Saturday.
With the win, LSU improved to 6-1 on the season while Nicholls fell to 3-1. The Tigers improved to 13-0 in their all-time head-to-head series with the Colonels.
The Tigers cruised through the doubles point, picking up a pair of 6-1 victories on courts one and two to take the early 1-0 lead over the Colonels.
Junior Jessica Golovin, ranked No. 69 in the country, was the first one done for the Tigers in singles play, picking up a quick 6-0, 6-1 victory on court three for her ninth-consecutive win dating back to the fall.
No. 114 Eden Richardson followed closely behind with a 6-1, 6-0 victory on court two to give the Tigers the 3-0 lead. Richardson tallied her team-leading 16th total singles win with today’s win.
After Nicholls got a win on court six and cut LSU’s lead to 3-1, freshman Luba Vasilyuk clinched the match for the Tigers with a convincing 6-2, 6-1 performance on court five. The freshman improved to 3-0 in the dual season with the win.
Singles play would continue after Vasilyuk clinched the match as Kennan Johnson defeated Marina Vigil on court four 6-3, 6-1. Senior No. 88 Ryann Foster closed things out with a 6-0, 7-5 win over Nicholls top player Stephanie Barnett on court one to give the Tigers a 6-1 victory.
LSU returns to action on Tuesday, Feb, 20 with a doubleheader against Tulane and Southeastern Louisiana beginning at 3:30 p.m. CT at the LSU Tennis Complex.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#23 LSU 6, Nicholls 1
1. #88 Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Stephanie Barnett (NSU) 6-0, 7-5
2. #114 Eden Richardson (LSU) def. Lingfeng Gu (NSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. #69 Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Mariia Kozachok (NSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Kennan Johnson (LSU) def. Marina Vigil (NSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) def. Changwei Wei (NSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Anastasia Kuzevanova (NSU) def. Ashton Rabalais (LSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Ryann Foster/Kennan Johnson (LSU) def. Stephanie Barnett/Lingfeng Gu (NSU) 6-1
2. Eden Richardson/Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Marina Vigil/Mariia Kozachok (NSU) 6-1
3. Luba Vasilyuk/Ashton Rabalais (LSU) vs. Changwei Wei/Anastasia Kuzevanova (NSU) 3-3, unfinished
Nicholls State 3-1
LSU 6-1; National ranking #23
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,2,6,5,4,1)