Johnson Clinches 4-1 Win Over Fresno State
Communications Student Assistant
DURHAM, N.C. --- The No. 20 LSU women’s tennis team defeated Fresno State by a score of 4-1 as junior Kennan Johnson clinched the consolation finals of ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the Sheffield Tennis Center Saturday.
The Tigers (3-1) rebounded in a big way following Saturday’s close loss to Washington with a dominant performance against the Bulldogs (1-2) in their final match of the Duke regional.
“It was good for us to fight through two tough matches and get the win today,” co-head coach Julia Sell said. “Moving forward, we need to capitalize on our leads and stay true to our games.”
After dropping court two, the Tigers’ victories on courts one and three clinched the doubles point, giving LSU the early 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
Fresno State picked up their sole point of the afternoon on court one, momentarily tying the match at 1-1 before freshman Eden Richardson made quick work of her opponent on court three, defeating Juliana Triebe in straight sets.
No. 66 Jessica Golovin was next off the court, giving the Tigers a 3-1 lead with a straight-set victory of her own against Alessia Dario on court four. Golovin’s win on Sunday was her sixth-straight dating back to the fall.
With Ryann Foster and Luba Vasilyuk each in the third set after battling back from first-set deficits on courts two and six, it was Johnson who sealed the match for the Tigers with a 6-3, 0-6, 6-4 triumph over Georgia Lawson on court five.
LSU will return to Baton Rouge in preparation for a doubleheader against Alcorn St. on Wednesday, Jan. 31 beginning at 3 p.m. at the LSU Tennis Complex.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#20 LSU 4, Fresno State 1
1. Emma Wilson (FS) def. #47 Elyse Lavender (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Ryann Foster (LSU) vs. Katerina Stloukalova (FS) 2-6, 6-4, 3-0, unfinished
3. #56 Eden Richardson (LSU) def. Juliane Triebe (FS) 6-3, 6-3
4. #66 Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Alessia Dario (FS) 6-4, 6-2
5. Kennan Johnson (LSU) def. Georgia Lawson (FS) 6-3, 0-6, 6-4
6. Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) vs. Ndindi Ndunda (FS) 3-6, 6-3, 0-2, unfinished
1. Ryann Foster/Kennan Johnson (LSU) def. Georgia Lawson/Emma Wilson (FS) 7-5
2. Katerina Stloukalova/Juliane Triebe (FS) def. Eden Richardson/Jessica Golovin (LSU) 6-3
3. Elyse Lavender/Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) def. Olivia Noble/Alessia Dario (FS) 7-6 (7-2)
Fresno State 1-2
LSU 3-1; National ranking #20
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,3,4,5)