Women's Tennis Edged Out in Kick-Off Opener
Communications Student Assistant
DURHAM, N.C. --- The No. 20 LSU women’s tennis team’s impressive comeback bid fell just short as Washington took the opening-round match of the ITA Kick-Off regional, 4-3, at the Sheffield Tennis Center Saturday.
The Tigers (2-1) will face Fresno St. on Sunday at 9 a.m. CT in the consolation match of the Duke regional.
After starting the match by dropping the doubles point to Washington on courts one and three, the Tigers went into singles play down 1-0.
The Huskies’ lead soon became 2-0 as No. 56 Eden Richardson fell to No. 115 Vanessa Wong on court three in straight sets.
Kennan Johnson had her streak of nine-straight wins snapped as Kenadi Hance came out on top on court five, increasing Washington’s lead to 3-0 before LSU began its comeback bid.
Newcomer Luba Vasilyuk got the first point on the board for the Tigers, trimming Washington’s lead to 3-1 with a tough three-set win over Katarina Kopcalic on court six.
No. 73 Ryann Foster quickly followed with LSU’s second point, defeating Miki Kobayashi in three sets on court two for her 10th total win of the season.
After dropping the first set and being down 5-2 in the second, No. 66 Jessica Golovin continued the momentum swing in favor of LSU as she rattled off five straight games to take the second set, 7-5. Golovin then finished off Alexis Prokopuik in the third set, 6-4, tying the score at 3-3 each, leaving freshman Elyse Lavender as the last one on the courts.
Lavender, ranked No. 47 in the country, went to tiebreaks in the first two sets, splitting them with No. 6 Stacey Fung and forcing a decisive third set, which Fung took 6-4.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
Washington 4, #20 LSU 3
1. #6 Stacey Fung (WASH) def. #47 Elyse Lavender (LSU) 6-7(4), 7-6(6), 6-4
2. #73 Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Miki Kobayashi (WASH) 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
3. #115 Vanessa Wong (WASH) def. #56 Eden Richardson (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. #66 Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Alexis Prokopuik (WASH) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Kenadi Hance (WASH) def. Kennan Johnson (LSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
6. Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) def. Katarina Kopcalic (WASH) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
1. Miki Kobayashi/Vanessa Wong (WASH) def. Ryann Foster/Kennan Johnson (LSU) 6-3
2. Jessica Golovin/Eden Richardson (LSU) vs. Kenadi Hance/Lana Slavica (WASH) 5-4, unfinished
3. Alexis Prokopuik/Stacey Fung (WASH) def. Elyse Lavender/Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) 6-3
LSU 2-1; National ranking #20
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,5,6,2,4,1)