Women's Tennis Sweeps Doubleheader to Open Season
Communications Student Assistant
BATON ROUGE --- The LSU women’s tennis team got the 2018 season started with a pair of sweeps against Northwestern St. and Southern at the LSU Tennis Complex Saturday.
LSU (2-0) improved to 22-1 all-time against Northwestern St. with a win in Saturday’s first match against the Lady Demons and 26-0 all-time against Southern with a win in the second match of the day.
“I thought it was a great first day,” co-head coach Julia Sell said. “We eased our way into it a little bit and got off to a slow start, but we got better and better as the day went on. We were able to finish really strong against Southern today and pick up a couple of wins.”
Junior Kennan Johnson picked up her ninth-straight singles win dating back to the fall after her 6-0, 6-1 performance against Dancetovic on court five.
In her spring debut in the Purple and Gold, Richardson was the next off the court, defeating Ela Iwaniuk 6-0, 6-1 on court three to clinch the win for the Tigers.
Singles play continued with a win from Golovin on court four over Avram, 6-3, 6-0, increasing LSU’s lead to 5-0.
Richardson and Golovin were the first to clinch a doubles match the second time around against Southern, followed by a court three doubles win from first-time partners Luba Vasilyuk and Lavender to clinch the doubles point for LSU.
Golovin, Richardson and Lavender each picked up their second singles wins of the day in straight sets on courts four, three and one, respectively, to clinch the 4-0 win over the Jaguars.
The Tigers will travel to Durham, N.C. next weekend to compete in the ITA Kickoff Weekend at Duke University. Second-seeded LSU will face off against third-seeded Washington on Saturday, Jan. 27 at 9 a.m. CT before facing either top-seeded Duke or Fresno St. on Sunday, Jan. 28.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#22 LSU 7, Northwestern State 0
1. #47 Elyse Lavender (LSU) def. Polina Mutel (NWST) 6-4, 6-1
2. #73 Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Polina Ivanova (NWST) 6-1, 6-2
3. #56 Eden Richardson (LSU) def. Ela Iwaniuk (NWST) 6-0, 6-1
4. #66 Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Kateryna Avram (NWST) 6-3, 6-0
5. Kennan Johnson (LSU) def. Emilija Dancetovic (NWST) 6-0, 6-1
Northwestern State 0-1
LSU 1-0; National ranking #22
Order of finish: Doubles (2); Singles (5,3,4,2,1)
#22 LSU 4, Southern 0
1. #47 Elyse Lavender (LSU) def. Rufaro Chirewa (SU) 6-0, 6-0
2. #73 Ryann Foster (LSU) vs. Stephanie Mbaya (SU) 6-1, 3-1, unfinished
3. #56 Eden Richardson (LSU) def. Tanaka Chakanyuka (SU) 6-0, 6-0
4. #66 Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Mia Kent (SU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Kennan Johnson (LSU) vs. Nicki Neal (SU) 6-2, 3-0, unfinished
6. Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) vs. D’Jeri Raymond (SU) 6-0, 3-1, unfinished
1. Ryann Foster/Kennan Johnson (LSU) vs. Tanaka Chakanyuka/Stephanie Mbaya (SU) 5-2, unfinished
2. Jessica Golovin/Eden Richardson (LSU) def. D’Jeri Raymond/Mia Kent (SU) 6-1
3. Elyse Lavender/Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) def. Nicki Neal/Rufaro Chirewa (SU) 6-1
LSU 2-0; National ranking #22
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,1,3)