Men's Tennis Caps Opening Weekend with Sweeps of UAPB
Communications Graduate Assistant
BATON ROUGE- The LSU men’s tennis team carried momentum from Friday’s matches into Saturday as the Tigers finished opening weekend with another day of clean sweeps, recording wins of 4-0 and 4-0 against the Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions at the LSU Tennis Complex.
LSU improves to 4-0 on the season while Arkansas-Pine Bluff is 0-4.
Co-Head Coach Chris Brandi on the Matches
“We thought it was a good start to the season,” co-head coach Chris Brandi said. “The guys did a good job, took care of business and were very professional, and that’s exactly what we are looking for. It went as well as we could hope for. I think it was a great way to prepare us for Tuesday against UL-Lafayette, which is going to be a very tough match. We are going to have to come out really prepared and ready to go because it’s going to be a big match for both teams at this point in the year. It’s going to tell us where we are at moving forward.”
Freshman Stewart Block started the match off for the Tigers as he swept Junius Ross in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0, to give the Tigers the 1-0 lead.
On court three, Shane Monroe recorded a 6-0, 6-0 win against Kusto Ledwaba, and Gabor Csonka followed as he notched a straight-set, 6-0, 6-0, win against Simon Lewis on court one as LSU took the 3-0 advantage.
In his first dual match of the season, sophomore Rafael Wagner clinched the match with a solid, 6-1, 6-0, victory against Jualon Greig on court two.
Monroe and Block quickly followed with a convincing 6-0 win on court three against the Golden Lions’ Le’Darrien Ledbetter and Ross as LSU gained the 1-0 advantage before moving to singles play.
Block picked up his third straight-set, 6-0, 6-0, win of the season with his performance against Ledwaba on court six to lead off singles play for the Tigers.
On court five, sophomore Julian Saborio increased LSU’s lead to 3-0 after a 6-0, 6-0, win against Ross.
Csonka clinched the match for the Tigers with a strong, 6-1, 6-1, victory on court one against Greig.
The Tigers return to action Tuesday, Jan. 23, with a match against UL-Lafayette at 5 p.m. CT in the LSU Tennis Complex. Admission to all home matches is free. Fans can watch Tuesday’s matches live at LSUsports.net/tennisvideo.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
LSU 4, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 0 (Match 1)
- Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Simon Lewis (UAPB) 6-0, 6-0
- Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Jualon Greig (UAPB) 6-1, 6-0
- Shane Monroe (LSU) def. Khusto Ledwaba (UAPB) 6-0, 6-0
- Sajid Rahman (UAPB) vs. Julian Saborio (LSU) no result
- Stewart Block (LSU) def. Junius Ross (UAPB) 6-0, 6-0
- Le'Darrien Ledbetter (UAPB) vs. Agie Moreno (LSU) no result
Order of finish: Singles (5,3,1,2)
LSU 4, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 0 (Match 2)
- Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Jualon Greig (UAPB) 6-1, 6-1
- Simon Lewis (UAPB) vs. Shane Monroe (LSU) no result
- Le'Darrien Ledbetter (UAPB) vs. Rafael Wagner (LSU) no result
- Sajid Rahman (UAPB) vs. Agie Moreno (LSU) no result
- Julian Saborio (LSU) def. Junius Ross (UAPB) 6-0, 6-0
- Stewart Block (LSU) def. Khusto Ledwaba (UAPB) 6-0, 6-0
- Simon Lewis/Khusto Ledwaba (UAPB) vs. Gabor Csonka/Julian Saborio (LSU) no result
- Rafael Wagner/Agie Moreno (LSU) def. Sajid Rahman/Jualon Greig (UAPB) 6-0
- Shane Monroe/Stewart Block (LSU) def. Le'Darrien Ledbetter/Junius Ross (UAPB) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,5,1)