Men's Tennis Sweeps UAPB to Open 2018 Season
Communications Graduate Assistant
BATON ROUGE- The LSU men’s tennis team opened the 2018 season with 7-0 and 4-0 sweeps against Arkansas-Pine Bluff Friday afternoon at the LSU Tennis Complex.
With the win, co-head coaches Andy and Chris Brandi have recorded their first career wins as Tigers, as LSU is to 2-0 to start the season. Arkansas-Pine Bluff starts the season 0-2.
Co-Head Coach Andy Brandi on the Matches
“The first match was pretty good,” Brandi said. “I felt that for being the first match of the season and being in a situation where we all had to get comfortable with each other, it was very, very good. They came out, and they took care of business. They were maybe not as sharp as what we would have liked them to be, but being the first match of the season, that’s very understandable.”
“In the second match in doubles, we converted on opportunities much better than in the first. One of the goals for the second set of doubles was to put balls away when we had the chance, and they did a very good job of that. In the singles, we looked a little sharper. It’s just a matter of as we go along and play more matches. They will get better as time goes on.”
The Tigers dominated on the doubles court as each of the three Tiger pairs recorded a win. Julian Saborio and Gabor Csonka were the first to notch a win as they defeated Sajid Rahman and Simon Lewis, 6-0, on court one.
Freshman Block recorded a double bagel against Ross, sweeping him in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0, to give the Tigers the 2-0 lead.
On court one, junior Monroe also recorded his first career win as a Tiger, defeating Greig in dominating fashion, 6-0, 6-1.
Junior Samardzic clinched the match on court three with a 6-1, 6-0 victory on court three against Lewis.
The Tigers added wins on courts two and five to take the 6-0 advantage as senior Csonka defeated Rahman, 6-0, 6-1, and Moreno took a 6-1, 6-0 win from Ledwaba.
Costa Rica native Saborio finished the sweep for the Tigers on court four as he routed Ledbetter, 6-4, 6-1.
The Tigers carried the momentum into the second match, and it all started with Monroe and Block on court three. The junior and freshman pair shutout UAPB’s Ledbetter and Ross, 6-0.
The duo of Moreno and Samardzic secured the doubles point for LSU as they worked a 6-2 win against Lewis and Ledwaba on court two, and the Tigers took the 1-0 lead into singles action.
LSU took the 2-0 lead after Csonka swept Greig, 6-0, 6-0 on court one.
Monroe gave the Tigers the 3-0 edge on court two. The Ventnor City, New Jersey, native defeated Lewis in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1
The Tigers clinched the match as Saborio notched a double bagel of his own, defeating Ledwaba, 6-0, 6-0.
The Tigers return to action Saturday with matches against Arkansas-Pine Bluff at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. CT at the LSU Tennis Complex. Admission to all home matches is free. Fans can watch Saturday’s matches live at LSUsports.net/tennisvideo.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs LSU (Match 1)
Jan 19, 2018 at Baton Rouge, La.
(LSU Tennis Complex)
LSU 7, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 0
1. Shane Monroe (LSU) def. Jualon Greig (UAPB) 6-0, 6-1
2. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Sajid Rahman (UAPB) 6-0, 6-1
3. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Simon Lewis (UAPB) 6-1, 6-0
4. Julian Saborio (LSU) def. Le'Darrien Ledbetter (UAPB) 6-4, 6-1
5. Agie Moreno (LSU) def. Khusto Ledwaba (UAPB) 6-1, 6-0
6. Stewart Block (LSU) def. Junius Ross (UAPB) 6-0, 6-0
1. Julian Saborio/Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Sajid Rahman/Simon Lewis (UAPB) 6-0
2. Agie Moreno/Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Jualon Greig/Le'Darrien Ledbetter (UAPB) 6-0
3. Shane Monroe/Stewart Block (LSU) def. Khusto Ledwaba/Junius Ross (UAPB) 6-0
Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs LSU (Match 2)
Jan. 19, 2018 at Baton Rouge, La.
(LSU Tennis Complex)
LSU 4, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 0
1. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Jualon Greig (UAPB) 6-0, 6-0
2. Shane Monroe (LSU) def. Simon Lewis (UAPB) 6-0, 6-1
3. Sajid Rahman (UAPB) vs. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) no result
4. Julian Saborio (LSU) def. Khusto Ledwaba (UAPB) 6-0, 6-0
5. Le'Darrien Ledbetter (UAPB) vs. Agie Moreno (LSU) no result
6. Junius Ross (UAPB) vs. Stewart Block (LSU) no result
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,1,3,2,5,4)
1. Gabor Csonka/Julian Saborio (LSU) def. Sajid Rahman/Jualon Greig (UAPB) 5-2
2. Agie Moreno/Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Simon Lewis/Khusto Ledwaba (UAPB) 6-2
3. Shane Monroe/Stewart Block (LSU) def. Le'Darrien Ledbetter/Junius Ross (UAPB) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,2,4)