Men's Tennis Falls to Arkansas in SEC Tournament, 4-2
Communications Student Assistant
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The LSU men's tennis team opened by winning the doubles point but was unable to maintain the momentum in singles and fell to No. 7 seed Arkansas, 4-2, Thursday afternoon at the Goodfriend Tennis Center.
With the loss, LSU drops to 10-17 on the season while Arkansas improves the 16-11.
Coach Brown on the Match
“That was a great effort fro the team to get the doubles point,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “Gabor and Julian clinching a tiebreaker over the No. 3 ranked team gave us a chance to win. Arkansas is strong at the top of the singles lineup, and we needed more than we had available today to get a win.”
On court three, Rafael Wagner and Eric Samuelsson fell to Oscar Mesquida and Juan Marino, 6-3. New Tiger pair Jordan Daigle and Nikola Samardzic earned a 6-4 win on court two against Adam Sanjurjo and Johan den Toom to push the deciding match to court one. After falling behind early to No. 3 Mike Redlicki and Jose Salazar, Julian Saborio and Gabor Csonka rebounded to earn the win in the tiebreaker, 7-6(7).
Arkansas evened the match at 1-1 after Mesquida took a 6-3, 6-2 win from Csonka on court three.
The Tigers jumped out to the 2-1 lead when Samuelsson grabbed a win on court six. The freshman defeated Juan Marino 6-4, 6-3 to give LSU the 2-1 advantage.
On court four, Sanjurjo defeated Saborio in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, to knot the match at 2-2.
With the match tied, No. 34 Jose Salazar worked a 6-1, 7-6(2) win against Samardzic to give Arkansas the 3-2 edge.
The Razorbacks clinched the match on court one as No. 10 Redlicki defeated No. 36 Jordan Daigle, 7-5, 6-3.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs. Arkansas
Apr 27, 2017 at Knoxville, Tenn. (Goodfriend Tennis Center)
Arkansas 4, LSU 2
1. #10 Mike Redlicki (AR) def. #36 Jordan Daigle (LSU) 7-5, 6-3
2. #34 Jose Salazar (AR) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Oscar Mesquida (AR) def. Gabor Csonka (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) def. Julian Saborio (LSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Johan den Toom (AR) vs. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-7 (2-7), 4-5, unfinished
6. Eric Samuelsson (LSU) def. Juan Marino (AR) 6-4, 6-3
1. Julian Saborio/Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Mike Redlicki/Jose Salazar (AR) 7-6 (9-7)
2. Nikola Samardzic/Jordan Daigle (LSU) def. Adam Sanjurjo/Johan den Toom (AR) 6-4
3. Oscar Mesquida/Juan Marino (AR) def. Rafael Wagner/Eric Samuelsson (LSU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,6,4,2,1)