Tigers Take Two to Open CCSA Championship
Communications Student Assistant
BATON ROUGE, La. - Riding one of the longest winning streaks in LSU athletics history, the No. 7-ranked LSU beach volleyball team (24-5) collected their 22nd-consecutive victory, defeating UAB, 4-1, and avenging their early-season loss to Florida Atlantic with a sweep on Friday in the Coastal Collegiate Sports Association Conference Championship at the LakePoint Sports Complex in Emerson, Georgia.
LSU has shutout nine of its last 13 opponents, outscoring the competition by a score of 59-6 during that span.
The Tigers will return to action tomorrow, looking to extend their win streak against Charleston and Georgia State at 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. CT, respectively.
“We had a really good day today. Getting started this morning was a little challenging, but the teams played well. The afternoon was a great showing, and we definitely wanted to come out and play well against FAU,” said head coach Russell Brock.
“That loss at the beginning of the season (against FAU) was one that we really felt like we let slip away. It’s not often that you get an opportunity to play a team you lost to early on. I’m really proud of the team for getting a statement win.”
In the opening match against UAB, Callan Molle and Cati Leak picked up the first point for the Tigers with a win in straights at the four flight by a score of 21-12, 21-14. No. 1 pair Claire Coppola and Kristen Nuss garnered a win in a two-setter at 21-14, 21-15 to give LSU the 2-0 lead.
At the two, Emmy Allen and Maddie Ligon collected a point in a 21-10, 21-15 straight-set victory. Olivia Powers and Katie Lindelow followed suit on court three, winning in two sets by a score of 21-16, 22-20 to put LSU up 4-0.
The Tigers continued their dominant performance in the second match against Florida Atlantic.
Leak and Molle put LSU on the board first for the second-consecutive match with another victory in straight sets at the four by a pair of 21-18 sets. The Tigers jumped out to a 2-0 lead at the five flight after Young and Davenport tallied a point in a two-setter by a score of 21-17, 21-19. On court two, Leak and Ligon sealed the dual with a big win in two sets at 21-18, 22-20.
Coppola and Nuss and No. 3 pair Lindelow and Powers all battled in three sets to secure the sweep for the Tigers. At the one, Nuss and Coppola took their match against fellow CCSA All-Conference selections Jesslyn Kinlaw and Megan Rice by scores of 21-19, 16-21, and 15-10.
After dropping their first set, Lindelow and Powers forced a third after claiming the second set by a score of 21-16. The duo wrapped up the day with a tightly-contested third set win at 15-13 to clinch the 5-0 sweep over the Owls for LSU.
With the wins, Coppola and Nuss improved to 25-4 on the season and earned their 20th win in straights. Lindelow and Powers also collected their 21st win as a pair, moving to 21-3 on the season. The duo has won 21 of their last 22 matches.
“Tomorrow is another big day. We’re looking forward to having a great recovery and study afternoon, and then it’s back to work tomorrow morning,” added Brock.
LSU 4, UAB 1
1. Claire Coppola/Kristen Nuss (LSU) def. Erika Zembyla/Avery Hoven (UAB) 21-14, 21-15
2. Emmy Allen/Maddie Ligon (LSU) def. Avei Longoleo/Kat Jovicic (UAB) 21-10, 21-15
3. Olivia Powers/Katie Lindelow (LSU) def. Kenley Adams/Emily Martinez (UAB) 21-16, 22-20
4. Cati Leak/Callan Molle (LSU) def. Haley Jared/Tressa Buckland (UAB) 21-12, 21-14
5. Kalah Jones/Rachel Evans (UAB) def. Riley Young/Megan Davenport (LSU) 23-25, 21-17, 15-10
LSU 5, FAU 0
1. Claire Coppola/Kristen Nuss (LSU) def. Megan Rice/Jessalyn Kinlaw (FAU) 21-19, 16-21, 15-10
2. Emmy Allen/Maddie Ligon (LSU) def. Jazmine Barker/Brittany Pellitteri (FAU) 21-18, 22-20
3. Olivia Powers/Katie Lindelow (LSU) def. Gabby Dischler/Candace Lacour (FAU) 13-21, 21-16, 15-13
4. Cati Leak/Callan Molle (LSU) def. Nicole Grant/Nicole Navarro (FAU) 21-18, 21-18
5. Riley Young/Megan Davenport (LSU) def. Carly Scarbrough/Ashlan Cunningham (FAU) 21-17, 21-19