Butsch Clinches as Men's Tennis Beats Auburn, 5-2
Communications Student Assistant
AUBURN, Ala. – With possession of the doubles point and the 3-2 lead, No. 76 Justin Butsch pushed his match into a third set to drive past Carles Sarrio on court two, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, and clinch the match for the Tigers as LSU defeated Auburn, 5-2, Friday afternoon at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
LSU improved to 9-14 overall and 3-7 in the SEC. With the loss, Auburn fell to 12-11 on the season and 3-6 in the league.
Coach Brown on the Match
“The guys did a great job of capturing the momentum early in the doubles, and maintaining their focus,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “Gabor (Csonka) and Nikola (Samardzic) set the table in singles. Justin (Butsch) did what he does best clinching and being clutch out there today.”
LSU started off strongly and jumped out front 1-0 after clinching the doubles point. No. 90 Gabor Csonka and Julian Saborio worked a quick 6-0 win on court two against Olle Thestrup and Donte Saleh. One court one, No. 39 Jordan Daigle and Justin Butsch took a convincing win from No. 15 Max Hinnidaels and Conner Huertas.
Csonka carried the momentum from the doubles point into his singles match, defeating Huertas in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1.
Auburn minimized LSU’s lead to 2-1 as Brandon Laubser defeated Julian Saborio, 6-4, 6-4, on court six.
Nikola Samardzic extended his win streak to five matches as he grasped his match on court four against Thestrup with consecutive 6-4 sets.
With the 3-1 advantage, No. 44 Daigle was unable to come up with the win on court one and fell to No. 62 Hinnisdaels, 6-4, 6-4.
On court two, No. 76 Butsch clinched the match. After falling in the first set 6-4, the senior fought to put his match against Sarrio into a third set and snatched back-to-back 6-4 sets to win the match for LSU.
Rafael Wagner added to the LSU victory on court five. The freshman fell in the first set 6-3, but rebounded to defeat Saleh, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.
The Tigers travel to Starkville, Miss. and will face Mississippi State Sunday at 1 p.m. at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
LSU vs. Auburn
Apr 07, 2017 at Auburn, Ala. (Yarbrough Tennis Center)
LSU 5, #50 Auburn 2
1. #62 Max Hinnisdaels (AUBURN) def. #44 Jordan Daigle (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. #76 Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Carles Sarrio (AUBURN) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Conner Huertas (AUBURN) 6-3, 6-1
4. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Olle Thestrup (AUBURN) 6-4, 6-4
5. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Dante Saleh (AUBURN) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Brandon Laubser (AUBURN) def. Julian Saborio (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
1. #39 Jordan Daigle/Justin Butsch (LSU) def. #15 Max Hinnisdaels/Conner Huertas (AUBURN) 6-2
2. #90 Gabor Csonka/Julian Saborio (LSU) def. Olle Thestrup/Dante Saleh (AUBURN) 6-0
3. Brandon Laubser/Carles Sarrio (AUBURN) vs. Eric Samuelsson/Agie Moreno (LSU) 4-4, unfinished
Auburn 12-11; National ranking #50
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,6,4,1,2,5) Played outdoors
Official: Chris Rodger T-2:29