Women’s Tennis Drops Match Against MSU
Communications Student Assistant
STARKVILLE, Miss. --- The LSU women’s tennis team’s struggles on the road continued as the No. 24 Mississippi State Bulldogs defeated No. 19 LSU 6-1 at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Center Sunday.
The Tigers fell to 12-6 (5-4 SEC) with the loss while the Bulldogs improved to 13-5 (6-4 SEC).
In doubles play, Madison Harrison and Sara Lizariturry quickly took down Jessica Golovin and Skylar Holloway on court three, 6-1, before Jade Lewis and Becca Weissmann evened things up with a 6-3 win over Jennifer Brown and Khrystyna Vozniak on court two.
The No. 20 pairing of Joana Valle Costa and Ryann Foster let an early lead slip in their doubles match against the No. 11 duo of Jasmine Lee and Lisa Marie Rioux, who ultimately took the match 6-4, claiming the doubles point and an early 1-0 lead for Mississippi State.
That lead soon turned into a 2-0 advantage as No. 32 Lee defeated LSU’s No. 30 Lewis on court one, 6-2, 6-0, handing Lewis just the third loss of her career and marking the first time the freshman has lost back-to-back matches.
Court six was the next to finish as Lizariturry defeated Holloway 6-3, 6-3, increasing Mississippi State’s lead to 3-0.
Anastasia Rentouli clinched the match for the Bulldogs with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Golovin on court four, winning the fifth of the past six matches for Mississippi State and handing LSU their second straight loss in conference play.
Matches continued to be played out, and Mississippi State added their fifth and sixth points with wins on courts five and three.
No. 86 Valle Costa picked up the lone point for the Tigers as the last singles match to be completed, defeating Lisa Marie Rioux 6-0, 3-6, 6-2 on court two.
The Tigers return to Baton Rouge for their final two home matches of the season against Kentucky on Friday, April 7, and Vanderbilt on Sunday, April 9.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs. Mississippi State
April 2, 2017 at Starkville, Miss.
(A.J. Pitts Tennis Center)
#24 Mississippi State 6, #19 LSU 1
1. #32 Jasmine Lee (MSU) def. #30 Jade Lewis (LSU) 6-2, 6-0
2. #86 Joana Valle Costa (LSU) def. Lisa Marie Rioux (MSU) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
3. Madison Harrison (MSU) def. #105 Ryann Foster (LSU) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Anastasia Rentouli (MSU) def. Jessica Golovin (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Khrystyna Vozniak (MSU) def. Becca Weissmann (LSU) 4-6, 5-4, retired
6. Sara Lizariturry (MSU) def. Skylar Holloway (LSU) 6-3, 6-3
1. #11 Jasmine Lee/Lisa Marie Rioux (MSU) def. #20 Joana Valle Costa/Ryann Foster (LSU) 6-4
2. Jade Lewis/Becca Weissmann (LSU) def. Jennifer Brown/Khrystyna Vozniak (MSU) 6-3
3. Madison Harrison/Sara Lizariturry (MSU) def. Jessica Golovin/Skylar Holloway (LSU) 6-1
LSU 12-6; National ranking #19
Mississippi State 13-5; National ranking #24
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,6,4,5,3,2)